Free at last.

Discussion in 'Northern Hyrule' started by AsheKryssaean, May 5, 2017.

1. AsheKryssaean

AsheKryssaean Senior Amateur new

Rupees:
    40 (Patience) 5 (Feru) 5 (Alicia) 5 (Owl) 0 (Oryn)
    That battle was incredible, Patience thought to herself, no, phenominal. Maybe even a fancier word I could ask a scholar about later. If I'm alive. For now Patience had a stuffy black sack over her head that smelled disturbingly like vomit, so she had been going over the events that had led her here in her head, attempting to distract herself. She decided whoever that tactician was that routed her mothers raiding flotilla deserved a medal, if they did not already have one. Even though Patience now found herself a prisoner of the Hylians she rather considered the fact as a positive turn of events. She was out from under her mother's tyranny now and if the Hylians didn't decide to execute her this whole thing was cause for celebration. On second thought even if she was hanged, or whatever they did to pirates here, she could still take comfort in that one thing.

Her thoughts were interrupted as the bag was ripped off her head and she gasped, partly for the sudden rush of fresh air and partly for the view that greeted her. Also the sun stung her eyes at first. Patience could see rolling hills and forests ahead of her, with no flat, boring ocean in sight. There were mountains in the distance, too, enormous mountains and still more lush green land after that. She hoped she would one day get to explore the sea of trees and majestic peaks. A prison sentence seemed fair, and worth it if she one day had the opportunity to live unbound by expectations.

Patience turned around, having a look at the rest of her surroundings. This town, probably Mido, looked nice, a stark contrast to the Forsaken Fortress. And the people here in the crowd, even if they were hoping for blood, some of them were particularly attractive. The women here were short and mostly petite compared to what Patience was used to, soft and delicate looking. Patience could not help but smile and wink at a young woman that met her gaze for a moment. Please, oh please, she silently prayed, whatever goddess favors the like of me, let this be my lucky day.

She was also gratified to see many of her fellow Gerudo had survived, even if they were prisoners, too. Being chained together in a row was also a nice touch. The recent naval battle was less bloody than most raids thanks to the Hylians flawless strategy and overwhelming victory. Patience even got to watch her mothers flagship limp away and that had been particularly wonderful to see. Likely she could thank whoever that strategist was for the minimal loss of life.

A tall Hylian woman in heavy armor began silently walking the line of prisoners, glaring at each one. This woman brandished a whip as well as an impressive assortment of other weaponry. Patience considered her situation, unarmed, unarmored, bound at the wrists and ankles, completely at the mercy of this intimidating woman. Were the circumstances just a little different...

"Well well, am I dreaming or have I died and gone to paradise?" She spoke up, unable to help herself. As expected the woman turned her fierce gaze on Patience. Unfazed, having received much fouler looks from her mother, Patience could not help but just stare at how her golden hair caught the light, a suggestive expression on her face.

"You are neither dreaming nor dead, pirate." the woman sneered before adding, "Yet." Her heart fell at the last word. That was bad. Perhaps I should have been more specific in my prayers.
    "Well that certainly takes the fun our of things." She said in a much more subdued tone.

"Not for us. The powers that be have decided to set an example. All of you lot are to be executed tomorrow morning."

"What!?" Patience exclaimed reeling as if physically struck. "No, no please! This is unnecessarily cruel! I thought you Hylian were more fair minded than, than..." She found herself suddenly desperate and begging for the first time in her life. However, in the next moment a thought occurred to her and following this an eerie calm came over her. Patience mentally braced herself for what she was about to do. The Hylian woman noted the subtle shift in her face and posture and raised an eyebrow inquisitively.

"If your powers that be have forgotten the meaning of nobility let me remind them. Take me and spare the others, I alone will be more than enough to make your statement." Everyone within earshot was surprised by her words, especially Patience herself. But then if she was to die she might as well make it worth something. Many of the others alongside her she knew personally and even quite liked.

Narrowing her eyes the other woman leaned in close. "What makes you so special? And who's to say we don't execute all of you anyway?"

"I want it in writing, no worse than prison sentences for them. Then I tell you who I am. I'm sure your powers that be will be more than satisfied to kill just me." Patience insisted but it looked like the Hylian didn't believe her. Patience turned to the Gerudo next to her, one of her fellows she knew fairly well.

"Narai, please vouch for me! Just let her know I am worth what I claim!" The other hung her head and averted her gaze, unwilling to condemn one of her own. "Please..." It felt like an eternity but finally, wordlessly, Narai nodded acknowledgement. This seemed to satisfy the Hylian somewhat, who turned to look at Patience once more.

"I will relay your request. But I make no guarantees and if you're lying in any way..."

"We all die. I understand. And... I thank you." Patience felt a strange mix of terror and resignation as the Hylian hesitated a moment before taking her leave. She did not want to die but it seemed one way or another her time had come. At least she had a chance to save the others this way, and that was the best she could hope for now. The crowd was full of whispers and Patience supposed she had made a spectacle of herself. Patience watched them as the word spread, and waited.
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
  2. kriss

kriss prince of the rito reg

The moment the rays of light slipped through the slatted windows of her shoddy apartment and hit her closed lids, Q'iik pondered if she should arise from bed at all. It must have been late morning, perhaps already afternoon.

For the last few weeks, each coming morning was met with unease and lethargy, for she had not gotten a single night's rest since her arrival in the city of Mido. Memories of her mother and father had danced and whispered in the back of her head, accents that brought good recollections of living on her home island. All she's heard since Dragon Roost have been the flat and unfamiliar tones of the locals. Even as she gathered her things for the coming day, the thought brought back an overwhelming sense of homesickness.

Slipping on her usual cloak, she paused to think if it was even smart to leave at this time of the day, seeing as lately she's been rising and falling into bed with the cycle of the moon. Yet as she secured the ribbon around her neck, something childlike and pushed her forward.

And so she emerged from the low-end building with a slight smile, hidden behind the hood of the cloak.
    Pulling her trusty bag over her shoulder, she began running over the list of her chores for the day. 'Check in with the store, head out for clippings, food, clippings... food... wait a second. '

Her eyes had been traveling the street idly, like most other days, when they suddenly found themselves flittering over the huge crowd gathering on the street. 'Where... am I again?', she cursed herself for having a forgetful brain, and not recognizing the street so close to her home. Her usual dose of conscious and yet, again, something pulled her to the crowd, whether it be a sense of curiosity or the buzz of voices gossiping over their newfound sense of entertainment. As she pushed her petite body through the first layer of bodies, she remembered her promise to stay out of trouble.

What a joke that might turn out to be.

Her eyes fell upon the scene with a sense of horror and surprise. Chained in a row, surrounded by the owlish gazes of the bystanders, were a group of what she'd come to know as Gerudo. In a moment of impulse, she pushed herself closer to the middle, enraptured by their clothing and the way they held themselves even while surrounded by the crowd. Her eyes narrowed as much as they could in her state, focusing on the body of one particular Gerudo woman, as she tried deciphering why the clothing looked so familiar. They reminded her of... oh she cursed herself for being so slow. As her eyes drifted, they suddenly fell upon the face of the women, widening when she watched them wink in her direction. On impulse, she looked to the people next to her, flushed, trying to figure out which one she'd been winking to.

As confusion continued to spread over her, the crowd took the opportunity to push through the gap, sealing her vision of the Gerudo woman, yet the piercing sound of a woman's voice washed over the entirety of them all. Even the Rito who struggled to stay above the torsos and shoulders of the condensing crowd, having to pull up the sleeves of her wings to keep them from being stepped on.​
    "You are neither dreaming nor dead, pirate."
    Q'iik froze, gripping her wings harder, and closer to her body. She knew she had recognized the style of their clothes... She fell off into thought when a yell cut through the murmurs of the crowd. "What!? No, no please! This is unnecessarily cruel! I thought you Hylian were more fair minded than, than..."

A pause. Oh, if only she was able to see over the people in front of her, to see which Gerudo had spoken up...

"If your powers that be have forgotten the meaning of nobility let me remind them. Take me and spare the others, I alone will be more than enough to make your statement."

And as the connotation of these words washed over the people, the air became alight with whispers, suddenly much more interested then they were several seconds ago.

The next few lines came to Q'iik in snips, as she struggled to understand why and who this pirate was, as well as the sacrifice being put into place. "...what makes you so special..." She knew with pirates comes danger but- "...more than satisfied to kill just me..."-yet the younger, naive part of her felt like this was wrong. "...Narai, please..." She could do nothing, nothing but listen. Like the rest of the vultures around her. "...thank you."

And if by a stroke of fate, it was this moment in which the people in front of her dispersed, perhaps having seen enough, and Q'iik made her way to the front of the crowd again. The realization of what she'd heard struck her head, and as she let her eyes fall again to the group of Gerudo, she couldn't help but restrain a gaze of sorrow. 'Stupid, naive hatching', her conscience whispered, 'What did you expect? A fairy-tale? Not everyone lives happily ever after. Leave it alone.'

--
    ooc kriss (open)
    i'm so sorry it took so long aaaah, i'm also extremely sorry for the awkwardness of it, it's been over a year since I truly paragraph posted RP so there's not a lot of interaction, but I can change it if you waaant

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  3. AsheKryssaean

Rupees:
    Patience waited for a very long time, shifting her weight from one foot to the other, watching the crowd. She noticed some rupees changing hands among a few of the people gathered, a betting pool of some kind, surely. Some people were even leaving, looking bored now that the initial excitement had faded. It was rather disappointing to see people here in Mido were not so different from the outlaws she had grown up around. Well, at least a few of them looked appalled or upset by what was going on. That was something.

At last, the walking armory returned, and she looked angry. Patience hoped that was a good sign. The woman had seemed all for the hanging of the lot of them. She rapidly fired orders at her guards who were quick to obey. Yep, she was pissed. "The lot of them, to the cells, that one," she thrust a finger at Patience, "with me. Now. Move it!" One of the guards hastily separated Patience from the long chain that bound them all in a line. He was barely done when Madam Steel, she decided was a fair nickname, yanked Patience along roughly by the arm. Wincing, she was at least glad the guard had the foresight to free her ankles, otherwise she'd likely have been dragged along quite unceremoniously through the dirt.

As Madam Steel pulled her right through the crowd shouting for them to make way Patience dared to ask. "So, I take it this means-" "No. The others will be hanged tomorrow and you will be interrogated. Your noble offer fell on deaf ears. I'm... sorry." Steel interrupted and Patience did loose her footing at that moment, falling painfully to her knees. In part she was shocked that the fierce and cold looking Steel was not fully on board with the decision. But mostly she was blindsided by the fact that whoever ran the show here was at least as ruthless as your average warlord. And they would all die for little more than the word of some political type. Perhaps she had underestimated just how much hate her mothers actions had engendered in the hearts of the people here. Even indirectly that monster did nothing but destroy lives...

One thought suddenly forced its way to the front of her mind, blocking out all other considerations and filling her body with adrenaline. Survive. A predatory aspect of her mind awoke, instantly picking out a small, young Rito within arms reach. Vaguely, Patience felt ashamed, but not too ashamed to lunge forward. She slipped behind the girl before Steel could stop her. In less than a second Patience had the chain binding her wrists over the Rito's neck, her hands at the sides of the unfortunate girl's head. "Move and I snap her neck!!" Patience threatened, and though Steel looked like she doubted the young Gerudo's resolve, she had the good sense to stay where she was, raising her hands away from her weapons. If Patience thought the woman had looked pissed off before...

"Cancel the interrogation. You want to know who I am so bad?" She said rising with the stunned Rito girl, grateful she was so light. "I am the daughter of the pirate captain Issandra herself!" She cringed mentally, having to play things like this, but there was no other way. And the revaluation had the desired effect. Steel was a little bit shocked and suddenly much more wary of the physically unimpressive Patience. The crowd recoiled as if they could be hurt just by being near her. She would have to make the most of this, and quickly. "Free the others now. Or watch me play 'how many bones can I break before the little birdie's heart gives out?'" Oh, Goddess, I can't believe I just said that. This poor girl... Patience could hear Madam Steel's teeth grind as she was forced to give in to the demands, unwilling to risk the girl's life.

Once all of them were free Patience started moving and giving orders as if she was used to running the show. She was also very careful to not turn her back on Steel, who was surely just waiting for Patience to slip up. "Ladies, grab some hostages, grab some weapons, grab some purses. Then let us pick a new ship." At this Madam Steel really balked but again she made no actual move, just threats. The other pirates followed her orders efficiently, not one of them giving any hint that Patience was anything less than a cruel and heartless leader. That only made sense, this was the only reasonable chance they had of getting out of here.

As Patience dragged her Rito hostage with her to the docks she found a fair moment where the Hylian guards shadowing the group were a good enough distance away. She leaned in close to the girl, was she shaking? Of course she was. Patience really hated herself in that moment. "Ssshh, easy. I don't want to hurt you. I just want to get my people out of here, alright? Bear with it, I swear, you're free to go once we're clear of here." Belatedly Patience realized Narai had been trying to get her attention, but of course she was a little unused to being referred to as captain. She was asking which ship Patience wanted to abscond with. Her mind immediately went to one of the merchant cutters, a fast ship in case the Hylian came after them. She turned to announce her intentions and stopped midway upon seeing the brig.

If it had been and normal brig she would have passed over the smaller vessel. But this was that particular brig, the one that had almost singlehandedly been the undoing of her mother's raiding fleet. It was possibly the most beautiful ship she had ever seen. It was not just aesthetics, either. She had seen this ship in action under the command of a master tactician. This was no average ship. And there was no way they were not taking it.

At just a jerk of her head her companions filed into the ship, unlucky hostages in tow. She did not even need to give orders at this point. The captives were quickly herded below decks and the women set to work, preparing the ship to sail as fast as possible. Patience kept her captive close, staring down Madam Steel down on the docks. Goddess but that woman was furious! But soon that did not matter. The brigs sails caught the wind and set out from the docks, moving like a dream. Narai herself had taken the helm seeing as how Patience was still technically in chains and focused on the seething Madam Steel. The woman kept her eyes locked on Patience as the pirates made their escape.

After what felt like an eternity of that nonsense Patience could at last barely see the woman anymore. She exhaled and released her hold on the Rito. Dropping the facade Patience let herself sink to the deck and relax a little. She was only slightly surprised as she started to shake, adrenaline fully spent at this point.

"Hey," she spoke up, addressing her former prisoner. "You OK? What am I saying, of course you're not OK! Look, I am so sorry about all that. If I'd had any other choice..." She let the sentence trail off, sighing. "My name is Patience Issandra, yes, that Issandra. But don't be afraid, I am nothing like that monster. That was just an act, a very scary, scary act. But hey! We're almost clear, as long as they don't come after us, that is. Anyway, I did promise to let you go after we made good our escape. So, until then... what's your name?" Oh yeah, Patience. I bet she's just dying to talk to you after you threatened to break every bone in her body. Idiot.
  4. kriss

The passing of time was odd to Q'iik.

Her entire life felt like it'd gone by in a flash, day in day out her life had never felt different. Her daily routine had been the same for years. Every moment so mundane and normal that the the memories became so muddled and mixed that sometimes she couldn't remember if something had happened at age eight or age fifteen. The second anything- literally ANYTHING- changed or sparked a chain of events that didn't feel normal, Q'iik would be compelled to leave it alone. To leave and ignore it. Nothing could harm her.

And that's exactly what she did should have done.

She stood at the front of the crowd now. Her wing sleeves dragged along the ground, over shoes and feet and all things that her feathers should not have been touching, but she could care less now. The scene unfolding in front of her was a harsh reminder of how her life could never be predicted, as much as she liked to think her solution to dodging danger worked. Her eyes still roamed the Gerudo, hoping that she could pick out the one who had spoken outloud. She couldn't. Everything seemed to be going by too fast.

"The lot of them, to the cells, that one-" She was back. "-with me. Now. Move it!" Eyes falling upon the one the woman she had picked out, she whimpered. 'Oh.' So this was her. The one who would die for her people. Maybe it was for the best.

Q'iik's gaze followed the two woman as the Gerudo was released, the crowd parting right through the middle as if the two woman were diseased and infectious. No one dared to lean in too close. 'I- I could never do something like-' she thought solemnly, 'I-' Her thoughts were interrupted, "No. The others will be hanged tomorrow and you will be interrogated. Your noble offer fell on deaf ears. I'm... sorry." 'Oh no. Oh no.'

It physically hurt to see the expression on the Gerudo's face, Q'iik had never before seen such a sight. Just knowing that you would willingly give yourself for others, to be able to put yourself before the lives of others only to feel the sorrow of knowing they'll loose their lives as well. Q'iik couldn't comprehend half of it. All she felt was the need to tell her that she recognized her efforts, but she couldn't say anything that would provide comfort. No one would. No one would make the effort of comforting an already dead animal. So when the Gerudo fell to her feet, no one moved. No one but Q'iik, she moved forward a step and a half. Mistake.

She flew forward suddenly, ripped so hard from her train of thought that she went numb for a few seconds. Her bag dangerously swung against her, and Q'iik thought she could almost hear a faint ripping noise. Among other noises. Like a voice. 'Oh.' Everything flooded back slowly, and she registered what was happening.

Hands. Fingers along her temples. Strong palms hovering. Her hair half-way undone. Her wings even more Earth-bound that usual. The guard escorting the Gerudo in front of- the Gerudo. Oh. Oh no. "Move and I snap her neck!!" They moved upwards. Q'iik felt herself freezing up as she realized one thing above all others.

This time she couldn't run. "-who I am so bad?" She was dead. She was so, so dead. "I am the daughter of the pirate captain Issandra herself!" She tried to conjure anything, any magics she knew. Her hands felt numb, she hadn't blinked once. Or maybe she had, just too fast to comprehend or feel. She couldn't even cry out for Christ's sake. She was wrong to feel sympathy, so wrong to feel trust towards a criminal. She was such a... child. She wasn't just numb, scared, and embarrassed. She was angry at herself.

"Or watch me play 'how many bones can I break before the little birdie's heart gives out?'" Alright, that one sent her over the edge. Shivers began to rack over her body and her breath stuttered as her mind continued to come up with 'top ten ways she'd die in the next five minutes'.

Honestly. She might have blacked out a bit, or just couldn't make the connection of things from her body to her mind. She could hear tidbits but only so many made sense. Someone calling out, multiple voices, her feet dragging as she stumbled and tripped against the person holding her, "Ssshh, easy. I don't want to hurt you..."

Next thing she knew she was on her knees, wings blowing up her now undone hair, her bag slumping next her her with a loud noise, the woman who held them captive out of sight. Rocking of a ship. It'd been a while since her last time at sea but she would never forget how the water felt beneath a boat. Still shaking. She looked to the side to look at the Gerudo, unsure. The other didn't look too different from what she felt.

She couldn't manage a single syllable. For a few seconds, she just stared at the woman, letting her body catch up with what she had just experienced. "Issandra...?" -she managed. That was one thing that didn't register with her. Out of all the things she had heard, why had that name been the turning point of her capture, of both their captures? "You- I- I don't understand? W-why..." She begged herself to slow down, gather her thoughts. Act like less of the child she felt she was. But she couldn't stop as her eyes turned red and watered slightly. Aw, man. She couldn't even manage her name, how did she expect to stay alive in a world she had ignored for years. "-Q'iik!" She choked out, clicking her name out in her own accent, reminding herself that she was so, so far from home. Then she proceeded to tear up more, looking at Patience in astonishment. Not quite a threat, but trust lost.
  5. AsheKryssaean

Rupees:
    Patience felt her heart break a little watching Q'iik struggle to even speak, realizing now that she must have scared the poor girl half to death with her gamble. And this Rito didn't even seem familiar with the Issandra name. The poor thing's heart might have given out if she had known. Judging by the look of things Q'iik was at least going to have a breakdown any second now. Apparently Patience was a very convincing bloodthirsty monster when she tried at it, and that fact made her feel physically sick.

Suddenly desperate to make Q'iik feel better Patience raised her hands, palms open trying to come across as non-threatening, though the chain between her wrists was off putting. "Hey, hey, easy! It's ok, I promise! No one's going to hurt you, it was all just a bluff so we could escape- dammit." Though she was trying to be reassuring Q'iik did not look any more at ease. Well, duh, Patience. You had her convinced she was going to die a cruel and painful death just a short while ago. You're a damn pirate and how well did you deal with the prospect of impending execution? She decided she really needed these chains off, now. "Hey! Can someone please..." She held up her shackled arms and one of the other Gerudo was quick to step forward, part of her choice loot being a ring of keys, probably just for this situation. Patience thanked her and then quickly urged her away. She did not want Q'iik to feel any more threatened than she already surely was. Turning back to Q'iik and seeing the tears running down her face Patience felt like a monster. "No please don't cry, please. I swear, you're safe, I won't let anything happen to you. Please, try to relax, what can I do to help, anything. Just name it." She reached out to gently take the girl's hands in hers hoping the contact might calm her and that she would not jerk away.
  6. kriss

Regaining her senses was as much of a curse as it was a blessing. Her eyes stayed where they were, upon the face of the one who had taken her. As much as she tried to stop the tears (both frightened and relieved), they kept bubbling and swelling behind her eyes as if she had not cried for years. She tried to think of when that last was, exactly. Probably recently. Then came feeling, the physically numbness washing away so she was able to feel more than just the rocking of a ship. And it was then she felt it. Pain. Her mind slowed again, processing this as slowly as the smell of the sea worked it's way back into her nose. "Hey, hey, easy! It's ok, I promise! No one's going to hurt you, it was all just a bluff so we could escape-" Q'iik had almost interrupted her when her arms raised, words caught in her throat as she flinched. "-dammit."

She watched, as if that was all she could do, while the chains were removed and taken away. The second Patience looked away from herself, however, Q'iik's eyes fluttered down to her body. Pain. She could feel it, even as her immediate fear began to subside and while she remained a sniveling mess. 'Focus on... simple thoughts.' Her legs were intact. Her wings were... disturbed, a few feathers sprawled around her. Nothing that was entirely too painful. Her arms- "No please don't cry, please. I swear, you're safe, I won't let anything happen to you. Please, try to relax, what can I do to help, anything. Just name it."

These words seemed so... nice. Considering Q'iik didn't talk to people often, words like these were like a foreign concept. The fact that a woman like Patience- someone she had heard sounding so frightening was able to turn around a speak this way was... surprising. She may have felt small and naive but she certainly felt some sort of truth and genuine concern in them, and that was enough to stop her sniveling. Her tongue wiggled in her mouth for a moment, as if searching for a reply or words or a voice when she was once again unintentionally cut off.

The moment Patience softly took her hands she felt somewhat safer and calmer, yes. The moment she went to go move her arm, her whole body jerked and she hissed in pain. She whispered, "No I- My wing or arm. It hurts." Pausing, she added on, "I'm sorry. You saved... you saved them all and I'm sobbing like a ch-child."
  7. AsheKryssaean

Rupees:
    Patience breathed a mental sigh of relief to hear the girl speak actual words though she was still stuttering and trembling. She took it as a good sign that the Rito seemed to take comfort from her touch and did not recoil away. Thank the Goddess I didn't completely break the poor girl. Except that thought may have come too soon. Q'iik had gotten hurt in the chaos, her arm or wing, an appendage far more critical to a Rito than most other races. And there was no way that wasn't Patience's fault; she had handled her roughly. It hardly mattered that she had not meant to hurt her.

"Oh dammit, I'm... I'm so sorry. I didn't mean- I shouldn't have been so rough-" Patience cursed and tried to think while at the same time trying to keep Q'iik as calm as she could manage. "No, sweetheart, you don't have anything to apologize for, it's not like you volunteered to be victimized. I think I can try and help you, though. This ship just got into port today, they didn't have time to unload anything for fresh supplies. That means any medical supplies they had left over will still be here. We can both go below deck and see what we've got down there. I understand if you don't trust me and want to stay up here, but I don't want to leave you alone, either. Once we get you fixed up and we're far enough away you're free to go. You have my word. Everyone goes home once we're clear." Patience looked directly into Q'iiks eyes, hoping the girl would recognize her sincerity, though she didn't deserve the Rito's trust. That ship had sailed, caught on fire, then gloriously exploded.