First Banquet

Discussion in 'Academy of Sages' started by WillowtheWhisp, Jan 22, 2013.

1. WillowtheWhisp

WillowtheWhisp Admin admin

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    As you enter the large hall, you are struck with awe at the sheer decadence of the feast before you. You stare wide eyed at the long rows of tables and benches, food heavily laden, with few unoccupied places on the surface of the table. Your mouth waters at what can only be described as a feast so grand, it's as if you have never eaten before. The smell hits you like a tidal wave, assaulting you with sweet, savory, and unrecognizable smells. If this is magic, then you have fallen under it's spell; and so has everyone else. Everyone laughs and cheers, taking part of the festivities, the burdens of the outside world melting away. Some sit, conversing with those across from them. Others mingle the vast room, a plate of food in hand, carefully weaving their way through the crowd. So, then, how will you begin your feast?
  2. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

Marcus passed through the throng of merry people, pausing only to snag a ripe peach from a passing tray. Biting into it, he savored the rich sweetness of the fuzzy fruit, then hastened to grab a napkin from a nearby table. Dabbing at the sweetness which was now trickling down his chin, he glanced around him quickly to make sure none of his employers had noticed. This was the first time he was actually going to be in close proximity to them, and he didn't want to bungle this opportunity. He had applied for this position, not really expecting to receive any kind of answer, but surprisingly he had been taken on staff. Official school nurse and teaching assistant... sounded worthwhile, and a great way to apply the things he had learned in his travels. Thankfully, he was not the only school nurse. He would be able to leave the Academy and journey the world outside... something he had no desire to stop doing.

He turned to grab a glass of water, but in doing so he accidentally knocked into a casual passersby. "Sorry," he said quickly. "Are you alright?"
  3. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

Clarence hurried through the halls, hastily buttoning up the top of his black robe. He was late. The headmaster of the academy was late for the opening of the new school year. But fortunately, the official stuff was after the banquet, and perhaps no one had noticed his absence yet.

Even though he was already late by more than an hour.

An hour he had spent running to and fro, desperately trying to find a way to the banqueting hall. He had only been here for a few weeks, and hadn’t yet taken the time to explore the school’s grounds much. That the school was a myriad of hallways, tunnels, towers and buildings didn’t help him find his way either.

Though, luckily for the now-stressed headmaster, he managed to make his way to the banqueting hall through some streak of extraordinary luck. And a map of the school on the wall. He stopped in front of the closed doors, straightened his clothes and brushed a loose strand of hair behind his ear. Then he took a deep breath, opened the doors and slipped into the feast.

Just as he was about to look for people he recognized, someone bumped into him.

“Oh, please do forgive me! I- oh…” Clarence looked the boy up and down. “Wait, you must be our new nurse! I’m terribly sorry I haven’t greeted you in person yet!” He smiled, then frowned as a thoughtful look appeared on his face. “I-I’m sorry, where are my manners?” He extended a hand to the young boy. “Clarence. Err, Clearwater, that is. I’m the school’s headmaster.”
  4. Quill

And to think, he had been worried about making a bad first impression. What better way was there to establish good relations with his new boss than to knock him over? Marcus felt a hot wave of shame wash over him, but he didn't have much time to dwell on his ill fortune.

"It's fine," he said, shaking the Headmaster's hand. "That's what the banquet is for, after all." Oddly, he felt more at ease after witnessing the man's own tension. Experiencing another's stress seemed to help soothe his own. Releasing Headmaster Clearwater's hand, he glanced to a nearby table filled with laughing preteens. "So many students," he said, grinning a little nervously. "Are you nervous?"
  5. Squishy

“Nervous? Well, I would be lying if I said I wasn’t.” Clarence replied with a small smile. “I am used to students, though. It’s my colleagues and new role as headmaster that terrify me, to be honest.” He sighed. “I just hope I don’t cause any disasters…”

He looked around the room before turning to Marcus again. “And you? You’re also going to be a teaching assistant, right? Do you know what class you’ll be assisting yet? I really hope you’re not on nurse duty on the days they’ll be teaching about ‘exotic’ creatures. In my school days those were the classes with the greatest number of injuries. …Although things can go horribly wrong with spells as well. But let’s not think about that now, shall we?” He added with a nervous little laugh. He sincerely hoped he hadn’t already scared of the young man.
  6. Quill

"I'm sure you'll be fine," Marcus said, smiling.

He laughed along with the Headmaster, but his laugh was less nervous and more excited. "That would be great," Marcus said, "I'm here to learn, as well as Heal, and still days sound pretty dull."

Vaguely, he noted that he must look like a fool, a wide, excited grin stretching across his face. A familiar head of hair caught his eye, and he started. "Excuse me," he said, "I think I see the Healing Professor. I expect I'll see you soon, Headmaster Clearwater." He held out his hand to shake.
  7. Squishy

Clarence smiled at the boy.

"Oh, I am sure you won't lack still days. I think you'll be having a good time here."

"Ah, I see." He shook Marcus' hand. "Please give the professor my regards. I'm sure I'll see you again." He replied with a bright smile. "Good luck with your first days!"

He watched Marcus move out of sight, and then turned around to find his assistant, who was probably somewhere in the crowd.