Eye Lasers and Living Shadows

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by LuckyEights, Dec 22, 2015.

1. LuckyEights

LuckyEights Member reg

Name: Eyebeam (or Eye Laser)
    PWC: Wisdom or Power, whichever fits better.
    Field(s): Light, Electric, Fire

This would basically be a spell or technique that works just like the Eyebeam Potion only it would start off weaker and work indefinitely and perhaps run off of Magic Power instead. Perhaps it can only be used once a minute. The Eyebeam treasure, initially a light-based ability, could be augmented to become the Lightning Eyebeam, which generates an electrical laser from the eyes, or the Burning Eyebeam, which creates the searing hot laser that sprouts flames instead.

Name: Shadow Self (Or Shadow Familiar)
    PWC: Power or Wisdom, again whichever fits.
    Field(s): Shadow, Fist(?), Summon

This one's just a little bit more original than the first idea. The user calls forth his/her own personal shadow by channeling malevolent thoughts into it, then commands the shadow with sheer willpower to fight on their behave, or protect them from harm. The shadow will appear as an elongated figure with a similar figure to the user, standing twice as tall and possess an arm reach twice as long. The shadowy being will always be positioned directly behind the summoner and cannot be directed to leave that position. However, with its superior range, the shadow can attack enemies with its fists on behalf of the user with the strength comparable to that of a Goron. It can also shield the user by extending it arms around the summoner to protect them from incoming harm. It generally feels little to no pain, but can be immediately dispelled with any light-based attack. Once this happens, it cannot be summoned for about an hour. With one level of Summon Power, it can be sustained every few minutes. With two, every few seconds. With three, perhaps indefinitely. The Shadow Self can perhaps also be affected by other Shadow-based treasures, such as the Alter Shadow to change its shape, or the Tendrils of Darkness to attack with binding tentacles.

So, what do you think? I don't expect these ideas to be immediately acceptable, but I figure I'd try my hand at being creative at least a little bit. :p
    Guy likes this.
  2. Guy

Guy Admin admin

I should have given you a reply sooner. Eyebeam is a good treasure and something the Library seems overdue to have. So I made a page for it, so long as that seems good enough.

As for Shadow Self... I would like a second opinion on it. To me, at least, it seems a bit confusing and frankly too bizarre of a treasure, though that might just be me.
  3. LuckyEights

LuckyEights Member reg

Ahh, I was afraid of that for Shadow Self. But I'm glad at least one of my ideas turned out useful. ^_^ If allowed, I can tweak it to make more sense if you need some convincing?
  4. Devil-Steel

Devil-Steel Your friendly neighborhood devil reg

I like the idea of Shadow Self, though it sounds a little too strong to me as it is. Aside from a weakness to Light based treasures, and anything made of Expel Glass, it wasn't specified how much damage it takes from anything else. Also how much damage does it need to take from other means before it is dispelled? A normal sword slash would do what to it? Affect is as if it hit something unarmored, like striking bare flesh? Is it as tough as leather? metal? I'd assuming if the shadow were to take damage that would typically be fatal it is dispelled?

Starting at twice the casters size would make it particularly powerful for already large PCs. An 8 foot tall moblin for example would have a 16 foot tall Shadow Self that would be capable of fighting against some bosses on almost equal footing. Now maybe if the increased size was an augment that made it a major treasure (though this would be more up to Guy or Clooby just my thoughts). Without the size augment (which could be gained multiple times at an increased cost each time potentially? would allow for varying size from size of the caster to X times larger) it would be the basic size of the caster.

Actually if other Shadow based treasures can affect it then it would already need to be a Major treasure. I mean let's take Tendrils of Darkness and Alter Shadow since they were the ones you used. Alter Shadow would allow you to turn one arm/hand into a weapon while casting Tendrils from the other arm to limit/stop movement. Or in the case of something like Miasma, would cause it to no longer be capable of physically striking/being struck but would give you a big, moving being made of Miasma that could chase down opponents.

Edit: These are just my thoughts on things, and the few areas I feel need a bit more clarity.

Also I noticed I had missed the line about it being forced to remain behind the caster. Don't know how that will affect things, half asleep.

Once again, I like the idea. Just need some to clarify some points and all.