Dual Naivety Under An Illuminated Nave

Discussion in 'Classic Dungeons' started by Saria, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Saria

Saria Severely Acute Radical Syndrome reg

Navina entered the temple as inconspicuously as she could. However, her fashion and hair contributed nothing towards subtly. Billowing purple harem pants adorned her legs while a white smock blouse covered her top, but the most noticeable feature about her fashion was a heavy black lace veil that covered only her eyes. Of course, lace could not mask her eyes entirely, but it certainly helped. She sighed, the only part of her that wasn't distinctly Gerudo in origin were her flat and unremarkable brown loafers. She was never one for pointed toes.

The temple was large, although not spacious. Much of the room was composed of the columns that held up the structure, the stone carved into elegant etchings of various representations of the power of Din. The only part of the room without columns was of course the center alter. Navina approached the center of the room, not paying attention to anything or anyone who might be hidden amongst the columns. She studied the alter: a circular table with a small lantern surrounded by dirt in the middle of it. The lantern was lit. She supposed it was to never stop burning.

The Gerudo crossed her arms. Although not an active worshiper, she had always fancied herself within the divine's favor. Why wouldn't she be? All she did was try to calm the chaos in the world. However, lately, she had felt more and more out of tune with her place in the world. This uncertainty of course carried over to her perceptions of the divine and how she interpreted them. She found that these days she did not channel Light into her weapons very often, and whenever she did so she immediately felt dirty and unworthy of such a gift.

"Din Dammit," she sighed. The Goddess would probably be upset at her for taking her name in a temple devoted to her of all places, but Navina cared little. She was frustrated. Despite her heritage, there were many reasons why she revered the other Goddesses much more so. However, she supposed that if she was going to find some sort of spiritual meaning in her life again she should start with the Goddess she tended to ignore
  2. Guy

Guy Admin admin

In the rare instances Tent ventured back to his home temple in Nabooru, he spent half of his time catching up with old associates, and the other half reviewing literature and writing new works based on his discovers out in the wider world of Hyrule. He was still in the midst of the latter, with several books in his lap and a quill in his hand. He was logging notes about a recently-rediscovered ancient temple once devoted to Her Grace, when a somewhat familiar voice uttered out something rather... inappropriate.

"Navina?" The Deku Scrub set his work aside him on the bench, before standing up and adjusting his trademark red tunic. It felt almost odd, walking around without armor or gauntlets. Tent approached the woman with a slight smile, "That is you, isn't it? You look so... different, outside of your usual armor. It's a fetching look, though."

He decided for the moment to pretend he didn't hear her take Din's sacred name in vain. Unfortunately he himself was prone to do the same in moments of frustration, so he felt he should not even begin to judge one who hadn't taken vows like his own. Of what he could see of her face, she did indeed seem to be bothered by something. "You seem somewhat... troubled, Navina. I feel you always carry the weight of justice heavily on your shoulders, but something else seems to be bothering you. Are you here seeking guidance? Or, if not, is there anything else I can do to help you?"

In truth, he was not terribly interested in paperwork, and any excuse to get away from it would be welcomed--and Din would surely smile upon helping a person as good-hearted and law-abiding as Navina seemed to be. Would she not?
  3. Saria

A chill ran through the Gerudo's spine as she heard her name. She wasn't hoping to be recognized. As the Deku Scrub approached, the woman's eyes narrowed. Part of her was still so used to wearing her helmet that she hadn't noticed her unconscious glare. She remembered this one, Tent she believed his name was, but mostly she remembered the company he kept. His own actions suggested no ill will, but scum attracts scum. He might have been a devoted follower of Din to the public eye, but Julius was also a capable Captain in the view of most. But she had looked at the Captain from a different angle and found an entirely new and revolting perspective.. She wasn't going to take any chances.

Although she was on guard throughout the conversation, she listened to him intently. Her gaze softened as he continued to speak. She was troubled, yes. Although part of her felt somewhat offended at the Deku's assertions, even if they were true. She wasn't supposed to be troubled, nor were people supposed to perceive her as such. Did she really wear her feelings so plainly on her face? A sigh escaped her.

"It's no longer my 'usual' armor," Navina said plainly. She was quick to change the subject. "Guidance?" She cocked an eyebrow and starred down at the Deku, arms still crossed. "Do you claim to speak for Din?"

She was not going to openly admit to this scrub that she needed some sort of direction in her life. Not in the slightest.
  4. Guy

Guy Admin admin

"Oh, no, of course not," Tent was quick to dismiss, "I doubt any mortal could claim to speak for Her Grace. What knowledge I have of Din suggests Her messages are very subtle and mysterious... and not the sort of thing that would be relayed through a mere man's words."

A small sigh escaped him, and he moved back to the bench he was sitting on a moment ago. He recovered the numerous books up into his arms, glancing over his shoulder as he continued to speak, "I suspect you don't know this, but the temple in which we now reside is the only place I call home any more. Yet, it changes in the sparse return visits I make to it: new faces, new changes, and even new beliefs. The warrior disciples that serve Din, like I seem to be, are more and more are considered a thing of the past. It always seems to go that way. Ganon's forces are calming down, and everyone is less in arms with war and battles. So, they put less faith in Din... of course, until they once again feel the need for power... until they must defend themselves again... as if the world has truly changed, or even that Hyrule itself is truly safe again."

Tent caught himself staring at the ground, ranting away. This isn't how he wanted to portray himself, especially not to Navina. Perhaps she could relate? As usual, he found it difficult to gather much from her face--other than that something unsaid was still bothering her. Regardless, he changed the subject yet again. "As I believe I've told you before, I took oaths to Her Grace decades ago, and have spent the majority of my life attempting to serve Her in whatever way I can. That was part of the reason I returned to Nabooru, actually." He glanced across her form once more. She seemed significantly less intimidating without that armor, more feminine. Perhaps that was in her Gerudo nature. He was unsure. Still, she was a fighter--that much he had seen firsthand, and so he continued, "There are numerous ancient temples in the world dedicated to Din or one of Her other names, as I'm sure you know--many of which are out in wilderness, far away from society or intelligent beings. My order--or some of us, anyway--regularly return to them to perform certain rituals. Purge monsters from the walls, clean what has been soiled, return order as much as possible, pay tribute, and leave."

"In truth, the other warrior-disciples are away or... less warrior than they used to be." He paused momentarily, trying to gauge her reaction. There was little chance she would go for this, but he thought it was worth the effort, "Whenever I purify I temple, I often find clarity in it--a strange sense of truth and devotion which I cannot find anywhere else. I like to think it is Din's light caress, or something similar. It is the only true reward I have for doing this, I suppose. That, and a sense of accomplishment."

With books in his arms, he approached Navina again, "I have seen you fight, and you seem to do it well. Your sense of duty appears strong as well. I imagine this sort of quest would suit you well, if it would interest you, Navina. ...Does it?" He slightly hesitated before adding, "I would... certainly appreciate the company."
  5. Saria

"I appreciate that," she said simply. She tended to think that the Goddesses guided actions and not dictation, which was why she spoke as little as possible. She disliked how easily she could be pulled into a rant if she wasn't careful, and frankly she had let things slip before in long winded speeches that she hadn't meant to in the past. As the man walked away she glanced at the lantern again, shivering slightly. She was reminded of a few of her rants she had undertaken while in that awful dream. She wouldn't miss Julius at all. She wanted to see Spaghet again, if only to kick a chair out from under him. For a multitude of reasons. That was surely an action Din would appreciate, right? She pursed her lips. Probably not. ... Maybe. She glanced over at Tent. It wasn't something worth asking about.

She hadn't noticed that he had moved and she quickly turned her attention back to him when he began to speak again. She placed a fist under her chin. However, as she listened to Tent, slowly but surely a finger crept up above her lip. It seemed like quite a number of scrubs didn't have permanent residences or they tended to occupy flowers. Strange creatures. As the Deku continued on, Navina attempted to listen intently, but the fact that the man was a bit away from her strained her hearing. She no longer took notes, and she realized that the scribing actually had helped her pay attention. Plus, she could always look over her notes before responding.. which.. helped considerably. She understood most of what Tent was saying, of course, but honestly she appreciated the pauses in between his speech for her mind to catch up to everything he had said. She did her best to remain neutral whilst the man talked, but she couldn't help but emote at certain mentions. She appreciated the idea of a sense of truth and devotion, but it was obvious she did not appreciate the idea of 'Din's light caress'.

The man returned to the center of the room. She lowered her fist and crossed her arms once more. She couldn't help but smile slightly at his compliments, and her brows perked at his invitation. She opened her mouth to speak, but was cut off by his additional remark. However, now that there was time between her answer it gave her some more time to process that this probably wasn't something she should undertake lightly. Her smile faded as she looked down at Tent. She couldn't help but catch the color of his leaves. Although his previous actions hadn't indicated any cause for concern, Navina couldn't help but remember this man associated with at least one wanted criminal. And there was a reason why she got dirty looks for being a Gerudo and it was the same reason why she was hesitating on using this man's association with Din as justification for trusting him.

"... I would be lying if I said no," she began after quite a moment of pause. ".. But you also keep quite the.. varied company, Mr. Emberwood." She tried to remember if she had looked for information about him at one point, but he was one of hundreds of names and files and criminals she had inquired about. It was lost to her if he had any other associations to crime outside of the Denzrita.
  6. Guy

Guy Admin admin

If Tent had an eyebrow, one would be raised at this remark. At first he wasn't sure what the woman was referencing, until he thought back towards his last two encounters with the woman. They were alongside an ill-mannered thief, a corrupt Hyrule guard, an insane two-inch tall boy, and what could only be described as a madwoman. His face expressed a bit of regret, and he sighed. He looked up, meeting her eyes with his own. "I am not going to defend the actions of Guy, Julius, Wiki, or Buzzari. I do not condone the actions we both know some of them take when I am not around. Guy is an old and good friend of mine nonetheless, who has not only saved my life several times, but helped me on numerous adventures I undertook for the sake of Her Grace." He also made a good drinking buddy, but perhaps it was better to not mention that part. "For whatever reason, he trusts Julius, so I do as well. Buzzari is an odd fellow to be sure, though I don't know him any better than you. And, I might speak for all four of us when we say we would rather not encounter Wiki ever again." He twitched slightly. In truth, he rather detested talking about others behind their back in any manner other than a positive one--but even he felt the need to distance himself from Wiki. A Gerudo was likely to associate Deku Scrubs with other Deku Scrubs, he assumed...

"The offer remains on the table, but the matter isn't urgent." Still carrying several books in his arms, Tent began to move down the hallway--and beckoned towards her with a gesture to walk along with him. "Anyway, now that I think about it, why are you here in Nabooru, Navina? Official business? Family? Now that I think about it, I don't too much about you..." His voice hesitated a bit, realizing suddenly she may be the sort of woman who would prefer to keep it that way. "I don't mean to pry--just trying to make conversation." Maybe she was all business? Or preferred not to talk about herself? She certainly wouldn't be the first warrior he met with either disposition.
  7. Saria

"Please, excuse me if I refuse to divulge," she groaned and her eyes rolled slightly as she began to follow the Deku down the hallway. "The last time I shared personal information about myself it didn't... go well." She really hated that sonofa... ... Sonofa.. sow? She shook her head in disgust. She didn't want to think about him. How much had he even told that little witch?! She was tired of her secrets popping up in randomly on the wind every once in awhile. She was glad that she really didn't have a sense of direction at the moment. At least secrets weren't popping up in conversations. Recently.. between jobs, Navina was migratory.

"... I'm just stopping through," she said, looking up at the ceiling. She appreciated the ornate carvings, wishing she had time to admire them. "I don't plan to stay in this town for long... but I must confess I'm looking for some quick rupees." The Gerudo shifted her gaze to the ground. She was looking for some to send for to her various sisters, but more importantly... she needed them for herself.

".. I never concerned myself much with Din, Tent Emberwood. People who crave power often do so with ill intent. "Guy Denzrita is a thief and a ..." she hesitated "r-related to all sorts of criminals, Julius is poorly fit for his position, Buzzari needs help, and Wiki is..." Navina slowed her pace and inhaled sharply. "... Wikitoria Levett and any of her associates are bound to be.." and again more hesitation.

There would be no way that someone would spend any time with or defend her in front of any audience willingly.. but then she remembered that dream. But he was so upset at Julius for saying those things about her, and then what she had said. She shivered. Something.. was wrong. Absolutely wrong. But for as much as she hated Spaghet for divulging her secrets... the amount he shared with her about his own life put her so at ease. He was nice, and Navina was too trusting. She shook her head. He had mentioned numerous relationships that he found himself stuck between, family, friends, obligations, contracts, and... She quickly changed the subject to the first thing that popped into her head.

".. Although I tend to ascribe morose to the other Goddesses, and feel as if they would help your .. companions more so than ..." Navina stopped. Another subject change was in order. Now. "... Tent, if you would have me as your companion, I would love to accompany you. As soon as possible."
    [​IMG]
  8. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Tent was sighing internally the entire time Navina spoke. Not only was she putting down quite literally everything he had passionately stood upon for all of his life, but she was discrediting a friend of his even after he already admitted his shortcomings--and again seemed to shove him in some relation to Wiki, a person he dearly hoped to never see or even hear about again. Yet he did, with Guy complaining about her, or hearing about something horrible she'd done, and now Navina seemingly acting as though Tent himself didn't despise her. The man was quickly filling with disgust as he spoke. He began to feel somewhat thankful that it seemed she would decline his offer, only for her to turn around and... Wait, what.

Tent found himself at his destination, where he carefully and quietly put away two books and sealed the journal in his small personal desk. He moved up to Navina and found himself at a slight loss for words. Power, he supposed, was useless without the courage to show it--and towards Navina, he definitely felt the need to show the power of what he was actually thinking. At least part of it. He didn't want to be a dick, after all.

Standing before the woman, Tent stared at the ground, and pressed his hand to his temple for a moment so long it became slightly awkward. He needed to find the correct, concise words for this. "What I am about to say, Navina, I say simply so we may get along better in the future." His hand returned to his side, and his eyes looked up into hers, "First, do not associate me with Wiki. Please. I hate to say this about other people, but if it helps you at all, I utterly detest her. She and I have no relation outside of the two points in time all three of us--you, Wiki, and I--where all at the same place simultaneously."

"Second, whatever you think of Guy--and I am not defending his scrupulous acts--he his my good friend. I value his friendship and him as a person, and feel insulted when you speak of him with a harsh tongue. I will agree not to mention the man if you do not, for the sake of peace and cooperation between us." In truth, Tent had never to his knowledge actually witnessed Guy do anything illegal, but knew the man's reputation. He wanted to mention that Guy detested Wiki far more than any person likely could, and bore the curse of encountering and working her far more times than any living person should. Frankly, Tent was surprised Guy had not outright murdered Wiki by this point, but that in particular was not worth mentioning.

"Third, you likely already know that Power, Courage, and Wisdom can all be used for good as well as evil. By Hyrulean standards of morality, the Golden Goddesses have shown themselves to be surprisingly neutral." Tent believed he had certainly done enough study to spend an hour proving that last point, but he hoped Navina could just accept it. "What Power I have I intend to use for the purpose of good, and hope anything I do for and by Din is also for the purpose of good."

He smiled faintly, glad to get that off his chest and out in the open, "Finally, clearing out this temple will surely net you at least a few rupees, even if you gain nothing else from it. There is little keeping me in Nabooru at the moment, and--if this quest still interests you--I am prepared to depart whenever you are."
  9. Saria

Navina couldn't help but feel more than a little embarrassed. She tended to speak her mind when she did speak, and she often realized how it got her into uncomfortable situations. She just wished that she allowed her mind to process more sometimes before she let herself go. But then again, uninterrupted and unchallenged thought brought its own problems..

".. I don't do anything with the intention of rupees being my only reward," she said. Her arms remained crossed, but a small sigh still escaped her chest. She had to search internally for why exactly she was, though. While she thought, the same amount of silence that Tent had given her previously she offered to him. She needed some time to think. She supposed that she automatically had grouped Wiki and Tent together, just on the basis of their shared heritage. Another pang of embarrassment hit her, but she was glad that he had cleared up that misconception.

Second, she simply wondered how Tent could keep and call someone who committed heinous acts his friend. Sisters of hers that did not ascribe to her standards morals and ethics Navina refused to talk to, despite still sending them the small amount of rupees they asked for occasionally. But he was right. The Deku himself had shown himself to be.. mostly virtuous. She bit the back of her lip. It couldn't be helped.

"..Forgive me, Mr. Emberwood, if I offended you," The Gerudo's lip curled slightly as she spoke. It was clear she did not like apologizing, although despite her face leaking irritation her words were sincere. "And .. forgive me if it seems I have an.. ill-formed idea of your character." She would not mention that his friend's character was fully conceptualized in her mind and not changing any time soon. She sighed and looked down at him. He deserved at least a partial justification for her coldness.

".. But to be honest, first impressions .. mean a lot to me," Navina said. She looked down at the man and uncrossed her arms. She didn't want to look more hostile than she needed to. "..Please forgive me if I'm still attempting to reconcile your actual character with the intoxicated man who I happened to stumble across in the woods and who immediately began to.." Navina looked down at the scrub. Her eyes darted to the side and her face flushed slightly as she attempted to find the right word. "... compliment." She again quickly changed the subject. "But please, if you would allow the opportunity for my perceptions to change, I promise to do my best to keep an open mind." And if she was being completely honest, she really needed the rupees.
  10. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Tent wasn't sure at first what Navina was even referencing--an intoxicated man in the woods complimenting her? Sounds like a vagrant. He wasn't going to press the issue nor ask, as she seemed quick to change the subject. Navina seemed to wear her mind on her sleeve, only to often quickly regret what she just said. It seemed like... a difficult way to live. Thank Din he himself he usually had more foresight.

"I'm glad we could sort that out." Tent smiled slightly and clasped his hands. He was still unsure if inviting her was for the best, but continued, "That sounds like a yes. We'll need to make a few preparations, first. As it is out in the eastern sea, it could take us a fair amount of days to arrive. I'm not completely sure what sustenance a Gerudo might need, but needless to say you will need at least basic provisions. Weapons, armor, and adventuring gear would be helpful as well." His mind quickly wandered to make plans for the endeavor, reflecting on what allies and contacts he had. "A peculiar associate of mine can get us to the ocean by caravan. I'll just need to contact him by commshell... With the recent loss of Impa--Din be with the survivors--I'm sure Mido's port must be quite busty these days. It should be easy for us to get a ship for rent out there, would it not?"
  11. Saria

Navina felt as if she had apologized too much. Maybe she had given the scrub more confidence than he deserved, as the man seemed to be well and uninterruptible in his own thoughts now. She rolled her eyes slightly.

"Of course," Navina said. She knew geography well enough. "... But I..." She didn't have any money. Why couldn't this man understand? Maybe he did... and she wasn't understanding his offer to buy her armor? Navina unconsciously scratched at the back of her head. "... Tent, if you could.. loan me a few rupees so I could buy myself..." she paused again. Honestly, she hadn't thought of what to wear whilst adventuring. She rather liked being able to dodge and weave again. Armor was bulky, and she had to wear it because it was what the guards wore. She wasn't allowed to wear what she was used to fighting in, but she learned to fight in armor anyways, in very mysterious ways..

"... Never mind. I don't need anything but food and water," The Gerudo shrugged. She could afford that at least. Then she thought again. "... but if you.. happened to have a spare gauntlet lying around I wouldn't mind borrowing it."
  12. Guy

Guy Admin admin

"Oh," Tent's eyes widened slightly. He glanced down towards her hands, then back up to her face, "Sure, I have an old set that should be large enough for you. A Hylian associate of mine got some new armor recently, and he donated the rest to the temple for anyone who would use it in the name of Din--and, well, we're doing this in the name of Din, aren't we? I'll show you where it is." In the back of Tent's mind, he hoped he wasn't being too trusting in letting Navina borrow--or most likely keep--the mail he had in mind. In truth, there was the slightest doubt in his mind she would back out or possibly swindle him, but he tried to believe in her... It was better to trust than to doubt, he believed.

Walking through wood floors and stone halls, Tent took a minute to lead her to a small storage room filled with various boxes and shelves. It appeared to be mostly books, scrolls, and other materials of study. There was a particular chest in a corner, however, which Tent opened with what seemed to be a magical gesture--it audibly clicked open without him even touching it. He pushed open the chest with a loud creak, and guided Navina over to see it. There seemed to be indeed a pair of dull iron gauntlets, one of which was encrusted with a crimson-colored plate covering one. Aside from that, there was a pair of boots, and bulky mail that would cover the shoulders, chest, upper arms, and thighs--though given the size of the shoulders and chest, would be ridiculously cumbersome on Navina's more slender frame. There was also a rather heavy iron mace with a wooden shaft--rather large for Tent, but he suspected Navina could put her strength to use behind it if she wanted. Taking a couple steps back, Tent looked towards Navina, "Is there anything in here you could use?"

He began to move towards a nearby desk, climbed a stool several sizes too tall for a Deku Scrub, and began to gently search for a quill and parchment quill, "If you take anything, I'll leave a note in the chest--just in case anyone wonders where it has gone. Thankfully a lot of people here still remember by name."
  13. Saria

"I'll just take one," she said, grabbing the right gauntlet. She smiled at Tent. "...Thank you. I'll return it I-" she didn't want to reveal her financial situation. Shaking her head, she motioned for Tent to write down her name for her as she adjusted the gauntlet onto her right hand.

--

Navina had stayed silent most of the journey and refused to be addressed, engrossed in a metal puzzle ring set. She was having difficulty breaking the sets of rings and various bent objects apart. When she wasn't doing that, she was thinking about trying to convince Tent to loan her some rupees to let her buy a gantlet. She had spotted a silver one in the caravan. She decided against it, however, opting instead to wait to explore the dungeon. She tried not to focus on the.. associate... with them. She instead engrossed herself in puzzles, the scenery, and the occasional nod. Navina was not in a talking mood.

When the pair was clear of the third party, Navina just pursed her lips and looked down at Tent. Her eyes tended to dart around, looking for a boat seller. It was hard to see with her veil, but she didn't seem interested in taking it off. She .. had been in Impa before it collapsed, and having to go to Mido again reminded her of Tent's companion, and something he had said. She tended to fixate, and this one thought had stuck in her mind. She cleared her throat

"... it should be... easy for us to get a ship to rent, you said?"
  14. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Throughout the trip, Tent occasionally made idle chat with a Deku Scrub he called 'Gus.' At several points he attempted to bring Navina into the conversation, but she simply turned away. Even Aligus didn't seem to be in much of a talkative mood. It was distressing. Tent never thought himself to be overly talkative. Wasn't it natural to at least want to make conversation over the course of a three-day journey?

He silently thanked Din he for once at least had some foresight. A pair of scrolls kept his mind occupied when the scenery nor the company managed to stave off the inevitable boredom. Even with spending one night at a tiny worn-down house in the middle of nowhere, the journey went surprisingly smoothly. No bandits, few monsters stopped them--only the occasional Guay or Chuchu, which Tent could ward off or put down without even jumping off the caravan. It was such a different place compared to Southern Hyrule, in his mind... Either that, or Aligus really knew his routes.

The trio arrived in Mido late in the afternoon on the third day, approaching twilight. As Tent and Aligus discussed the manner of payment and future endeavors together, Navina perked up for the first time in quite a while.

"Y-yes," Tent answered, a bit surprised. He was beginning to suspect this was all a ruse to get a free ride--she hadn't even talked about the temple or much of anything at all since she got on the caravan, seemingly what she wanted. Thankfully his suspicions seemed to be false, "There's always people like us wanting to get out to the Eastern Sea, and this is the only real port in all of the North. Smart boat-owners who want to make a buck know where to go. We could probably just ask around even."

"According to my friend here, apparently there's even people who could magically turn a caravan like his into a boat." Tent looked towards Gus, who just shrugged slightly--as if to say he wouldn't mind it as long as there was pay.
  15. Saria

"... I would prefer not to get magic involved but ... Ah, Gus was it?" Navina looked at the other Deku scrub and did her best to keep a neutral face. She had been practicing it while in the caravan. She didn't particularly trust people who did not give their last name unless they stated the reason. She did not fail to see hypocrisy in it, but she didn't particularly trust anyone enough. Nor did they ask. Usually.

Tent was continuing to have friends that Navina did not trust. She sighed. Part of her worried deeply about the upcoming dungeon. But she had made a promise to try not to judge. She did not like to break promises. She hoped to be proven wrong.

"... You're welcome to join us for our search for a boat, but I would prefer if Tent and I spend the journey alone," Navina said bluntly. She looked down at the other scrub and crossed her arms. Her stoic face was broken and she raised her eyebrows well above her lace veil. She almost dared someone to question her authority on the matter.
  16. Guy

Guy Admin admin

The Deku Scrub in question gave her a peculiar look, pensive for a moment. Gus had seen those raised eyebrows before--Hylians, Gerudo, and others--and knew exactly what it meant. No one trusts a Business Scrub, not even other Business Scrubs. It was a wonder he could ever get any profit. No, there was nothing to be gained from working with a woman like this--even Tent seemed to pay without her even contributing as much as company. In truth, he pitied the fool a bit. He seemed better off on his own, even with the sort of dangerous territory he claimed to tread.

Gus saw no benefit in going to the temple, let alone helping them find a boat. Ignoring Navina, he turned towards Tent, "Giving you a discount was favor enough." He placed a hand on the man's shoulder, looking him in the eye, "I've got your shell, if you want a journey back. Just pay full price next time."

Tent offered a solid nod, "We'll likely gather enough... Remind me to give you a generous tip next time."

Smiling, Gus moved back towards his caravan, and begin to float through the air towards the drivers' seat. "I'll count on it. See you." With that, Gus began to drive the caravan slowly down the busy dirt street, seemingly already on the lookout for another business opportunity. Navina might have noticed how peculiar it was... that Gus's leaf copter didn't move when he floated through the air, just then.

"Welp," Tent looked towards Navina, trying to sound chipper, "It'll be evening soon. How eager are you to get there sooner rather than later?"

He proceeded to stroll towards the docks, assuming she would follow, "There are plenty of midnight ships. Most of them feature characters you might find, mm," he hesitated, "Shady? I'll let the decision rest with you."
  17. Saria

In truth, Navina was a bit offended that the scrub left so quickly. Was she supposed to tip? She felt slightly sad. If she ever saw the man again she surely would remember to...

She looked up at the sky. Certainly most of the inns would be booked in this town for the night. Her brows quickly furrowed and she began to notice her scalp begin to warm. She looked down at Tent and pursed her lips. She inhaled slightly, steadied her breathing, and began to speak.

"... ... What's your opinion on it? I'll give mine as well," She said. Honestly, Tent had been more than accommodating the past couple of days and she hadn't offered him much in the way of conversation. If she wanted to be friendly she had to admit that she was in her own head the past couple of days. "I wouldn't mind sleeping in shifts on a shady boat. I also wouldn't mind ... staying up together in a common room." She sighed, hesitated, and then continued. "... I also wouldn't mind .." she exhaled sharply, and then inhaled sharply again. She didn't understand why she wasn't good at this part of conversation. She often found herself avoiding talking about things that might be even slightly implied to be more than friendly. Even if her own intentions were 100% platonic.

".. If you wanted to rent a room for the night, it would be on your own rupees. I don't have the money to spare and I feel as if a boat would be cheaper." She bit down and ground her teeth, tapping her fingers against her leg. She didn't look impatient, more nervous if anything.

That was diplomatic and rational enough, right? Right. A+ Navina.
  18. Guy

Guy Admin admin

"I assumed as much," Tent offered, as politely as he could, "You don't seem the sort to stiff a bill." He didn't actually assume as much. He was beginning to suspect the worst--and still hoped to be proven wrong. Needless to say he was a bit pleased that she did seem to have a legitimate reason, and it would certainly explain why she was coming with him across Hyrule just to clean out a temple. It was dangerous work, but it did certainly pay most of the time--as long as you were smart about what to take back to the merchants.

"I slept quite well last night, and usually have a rather easy time staying awake aboard a ship... The rocking of waves is hardly soothing to me." He shrugged slightly, "I suspect that is natural for a Deku Scrub. So, I'd have an easy time staying up and keeping watch on a--mm--shadier vessel."

He continued walking down the pier, eyeing several ships. "Look for lanterns that are still lit." Pausing momentarily, he remembered Navina's former employer--and how the Hyrule Guard tended to view certain races. Perhaps he really had been spending too much time around other Deku Scrubs, and shady characters in general. He pushed the issue to the back of his mind, as the following question was rather important, "Navina, do you... ah... have any issue boarding a vessel worked by Poes?"
  19. Saria

She sighed. Unfortunately, waves tended to make her drift off to sleep instead. And of course, Tent just had to go and suggest the owners of their transportation to be Poes. She thought back to the last Poe she had the pleasure interacting with.

"... The trip would be ... How long again?" she asked. She tried not to showcase her unease with the idea. Shooting down someone's suggestion after she had just asked for his opinion on the matter would be rather rude.

"... I..." she sighed. "... The last time I had to deal with a Poe I ended up stabbing a lawyer in front of one of my bosses." she paused. "... Not actually. But. In a shared dream." another sigh escaped her. "... As long as you promise to keep awake."​
  20. Guy

Guy Admin admin

"It might vary, but I expect a couple days or so," Tent shrugged slightly. This was true insofar as he knew, having never ventured to this particular temple himself. All he had were the coordinates and a vague description.

He could sense Navina's unease, but was unsure how to address it. When it came to conversations with this woman, he felt the need to be delicate. She didn't need protection, but, she seemed very quick to reject outside ideas and races, at least insofar as he had seen. It made adventures like these difficult, he imagined. New people, new places, new ideas--it forced a person to broaden his horizons, he thought, which was something a close-minded person would naturally oppose.

After a slight pause, he simply nodded, "I can certainly stay awake, yes. As long as the journey does not last long, we can rest upon arrival. The isle is somewhat remote, so we'll have to arrange for a return trip as well." He advanced along the vessels, adding, "Worse case scenario, I can commshell a friend to help us out. A few different fellows owe me favors."

Perhaps cutting Navina off, Tent pointed to a particular vessel, his voice a bit excited, "That one has a couple different bobbing lanterns. My understanding of the Poes in this areas suggest they all have a small guild just for... well, people like us who want to get out in a hurry." He really didn't need to mention what other sorts of people would want to leave Mido in the middle of the night.