Dark Triforce

Discussion in 'Zelda Discussion' started by Quill, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

Okay, so first off, I have a rule for this thread: no huge posts. Nearly all of the posts so far in this forum have been really long and really detailed, complete with images and everything. I don't know about everyone else, but I find it hard to get involved in a thread like that. So for this thread, I'm asking that we try and keep it like normal conversations (instead of lectures) and don't make huge-o-normous posts. You can post images if appropriate, but don't go overboard, lol.

Note that this thread involves speculations for an upcoming Zelda game, and if you want to be as out-of-the-know as possible until you play it, this thread may not be for you.

So, the design for A Link Between Worlds has an upside, dark Triforce underneath the golden Triforce we've all come to know and love. It's been confirmed that the Dark Triforce will play a big role in the upcoming game, which will also feature the traditional Dark World. There's also some speculation that the Dark Triforce is linked to Demise (because his sword sports an upside, dark Triforce). How do you guys feel about this addition to the series? We don't know what Nintendo's thinking, and we'll probably be clueless until we play the game, but what are your thoughts? I think it could be really cool, if they do it right. There are some concerns about fitting the Dark Triforce in with the host of other, single-Triforce games that are out at present, but then there are people who say that Nintendo will find a way. What do you think?
  2. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    I probably won't say too much on the subject as the release date for LTTP2 comes closer, but I jsut want to get this out...
    I kinda wish people would stop worrying about things like this. Nintendo can't look into the future. Shigeru Miyamoto is indubitably a man of many talents, but prophecy is not one of them. When they made all the single-triforce games, they could not know that they were going to include a dark triforce in a game thirty years down the line. And if it's a good idea that they can work out well, then why worry about where it fits in with the older games that were made without this knowledge?

Besides, it has been made clear MANY times that Miyamoto cares much more about gameplay than about plot. As a writer, it would be politically correct for me to disagree with him, but I'm actually with him here. Zelda plots, if predictable, have always worked out well thus far, but the most important part that keeps pulling me back is the setting and the gameplay.
    darklink28 and Bitoko like this.
  3. Quill

I agree. Nintendo's always made things work, and I don't see any reason for this to be any different. And, to be honest, I like the occasional hole and disconnect. It gives me, as a writer / fanboy, lots of room for imagination.

Here's a question: what do you think the parts of the Dark Triforce would be? Would it be the pure antithesis of the Golden Triforce? Something like "Weakness / Ignorance / Fear?" Would it be the downsides / weaknesses of the Triforce? "Rage / Pride / Foolhardy"? Or would it be different virtues altogether? What do you guys think?
  4. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Considering the Dark World is a corruption of the Sacred Realm, I think the 'corrupted' forms of the virtues would fit best. By corrupted I mean virtues driven too far, so Rage/Pride/Foolhardiness, like you put it, I guess. I WOULD say that they would have picked the Cardinal Sins most relevant to the virtues that make up the normal Triforce, but the Triforce doesn't consist of Cardinal Virtues.

Now that I say it that sounds stupid. Of course Cardinal Sins are out of the question, Nintendo makes it a point to avoid religious references.
  5. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

Yeah, I agree and I think "Rage / Pride / Foolhardy" would fit really well seeing as its the corruption of Power, Wisdom, and Courage. I think it will be interesting to see how the dark Triforce plays in to the story of it all. Will Link be tasked with sealing it away so it can never be used? Will he be tasked with destroying it? Could the dark Triforce corrupt Link, or even the real Triforce? It will be interesting to see how the dynamics work.
    Quill likes this.
  6. Quill

I completely agree. Who knows, maybe Dark Link'll make a re-appearance! I think creating a world that amplifies the corrupted aspects of a person/place is an amazing idea, and I would love if they did something with that. They did a little in aLttP, but not to a great extent. I think it'd be really cool if they did stuff with coruption. Maybe there won't be a separate entity of the "Dark Triforce" after all- maybe it'd just be the corrupt "real" Triforce, or maybe its shadow or something! I can't wait until I get to play this game :whee:
  7. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

Oh, that would be so awesome if Dark Link was linked to the Dark Triforce! What if there were a Dark Zelda? To coincide with the Dark Triforce of Wisdom? Ganon is already dark, so the theory kind of falls apart, but that would be really cool.

And yeah, I am really excited for the game, I cannot wait either.
  8. Quill

It's too bad this can't do a "semi-good Ganondorf goes into Dark Realm and gets corrupted by his own faults" thing. That'd be really cool, but Ganondorf already has origin story(s). I'd like watching a hero corrupted into villain thing unfold, although that may only happen in fanfiction XD

I hope they don't abuse the "Dark [insert thing's name here]" thing;"Dark Link," "Dark Triforce," "Dark Realm," "Dark Hyrule Castle," "Dark Sword," "Dark Zelda," "Dark Chu-Chu," "Dark Light Spirits," "Dark Keese-" where will it end? lol
  9. tlozbj

tlozbj New Member new

I think that the 3 pieces of the Dark Triforce will represent Sorrow, Despair and Destruction, just like the 3 flames Twinrova lighted in OoX. This comes from even deeper idea I had of the origin of this Dark Trifoce.

In short, I believe this Dark Triforce, existed since way before the creation of Hyrule, we see that Demise the origin of all monsters/evil have the symbol on his sword, so we know this Dark Triforce is quite old. My idea is that this Dark Triforce, along Demise is part of the chaos mentioned in the creation story of Hyrule, and that what SS Zelda said about she theorizing that the Triforce is supposed to give hope to people is correct, and the Triforce was created to give hope to the people, so that they could battle this Sorrow, Despair and Destruction, with Wisdom, Courage and Power, this kinda nullifing the Dark Triforce's power, which is why Demise is so hating of the Gods of Old, they just didn't destroy his chaotic world and brough order, but they also nullify the power of his Dark Triforce.

I haven't thought why this Dark Triforce is back and running in the DT, but it could be related to what happens in that timeline, and the future erasement of the Golden Goddesses in Hylian religion.
    darklink28 likes this.
  10. darklink28

darklink28 Somewhere in Hyrule reg

3DS Friend Code:
    4897-7258-9301
    This is funny because I just posted an article on the main page about this.

I think Pride/Arrogance/Greed would fit perfectly with the "dark sides" of Courage/Wisdom/Power. Of course many things can, these are just the things that came to mind for me first.

It would go with the theme that the "shadow Triforce" is the antithesis of the Golden Triforce. I don't think there's anyway that Link actually collects the Dark Triforce in the game, if they were to go along this route. It will be VERY interesting and could be a defining game in the series' mythology.
  11. Quill

It would be really interesting, yeah. I can't wait to see how Nintendo pulls this off. But why do you say "Greed" for the corruption-part of Courage?
  12. Fcgfyv

Fcgfyv Knight of Mind reg

I just want to point out that if A Link Between Worlds were to take place in the timeline before OoT, it would make sense. It would line up with tlozbj's theory of Demise using it to grow his army and take over the surface world. But if it were to take place after OoT, Ganondorf would/should have some part of the Dark Triforce, since I think "rage", "pride", "foolhardy", and "destruction" very accurately describe Ganondorf.

My theory is that sometime before OoT, the Dark Triforce was either hidden away like/along with the Dark World in ALttP, or it was completely destroyed. In both of those, the Dark Triforce would not be able to pass down through descendants like the Triforce does.

Or my other theory is that the three chosen heroes (the ones who possess Power, Wisdom, and Courage (yes, I'm aware that Ganondorf typically has the former, but hear me out)) all have the other two pieces of the Dark Triforce on their hand along with their respective piece of the Triforce. By obtaining the other pieces of the Triforce, you have overcame your "sins" and achieved divinity, similar to the idea of Buddhism, which is a dominant religion on Japan/Asia.
  13. Fcgfyv

Fcgfyv Knight of Mind reg

To elaborate a little further in my latter theory, think about when Link looks at his hand when he sees the Triforce (in any Zelda game where he does so). We see the gold triangle where "courage" belongs, but we also see the other two pieces in a dark shade where they would belong. That would represent the opposite of that respective trait as a sin, and going on a different path from the people earlier a little, those would be impotence (power), folly (wisdom), and cowardice (courage).
  14. darklink28

3DS Friend Code:
    4897-7258-9301
    Courage leads to excess Pride in ones abilities, Wisdom leads to Arrogance, Power leads to Gread. I think that's what I alluded to in my first post but this is a better way of spelling it out.
  15. Quill

Oh, I read that in the Power / Wisdom / Courage format, so I was confused when you said Pride / Arrogance / Greed to mean Courage / Wisdom / Power's downfalls. I think that labelling the opposites of two pieces as "Pride" and "Arrogance" is a little repetitive, since they are largely the same thing. Dunno what Miyamoto'll do, but I look forward to playing the game and finding out!
  16. darklink28

3DS Friend Code:
    4897-7258-9301
    It is true that they are similar but someone being overly Prideful does go with the darker side of Courage, and Arrogance can be a darker side of Wisdom if one is too confident in their knowledge, but Arrogance could go towards Prideful too...Greed is definitely the antithesis of power though. I got that from Star Wars lol.