Culling Call

Discussion in 'Treasure Creation' started by Darth_Slaverus, May 11, 2016.

1. Darth_Slaverus

Darth_Slaverus Member vet

Name: Culling Call/Cutthroat's Call (Feel free to change the name if this goes through, this is just what I thought up)

Fields: Sound, Disable

PWC: Courage

Appearance: N/A

Function: Through sheer force of personality, the user takes a very deep breath, holds it for a few seconds, then unleashes a fearsome battle cry that promises certain doom to their foes, striking terror into the hearts of all enemies who hear it. Most targets will either be momentarily paralyzed or flee, though individual reactions may vary, especially among opponents with very strong wills. At the very least, however, the unnatural dread caused by this technique will reduce an intelligent opponent's combat capabilities by filling them with doubt.

If the user is proficient in a musical instrument, they may substitute the wind-up period and battle cry with an intimidating tune from their instrument, though they must still focus on playing it to achieve the effect.

Limitations: The wind-up prevents it from being safely used in the middle of a fight unless the user can get free of any immediate danger, must be heard by foes to take effect (deafened foes are immune), and will not work on truly mindless creatures or beings with no concept of fear (bosses are likely to be resistant unless severely weakened).

Another one of my random ideas. I'm always on the lookout to add more Courage treasures, and since Courage includes "charisma-based" powers, I thought that something like this might work as a sort of fear-themed counterpart to Charmed Speech. My intent is this treasure could be used to give a character a signature battle cry, war chant, or ominous theme with an actual effect. I could see it being used at the start of an ambush to disorient foes, or to buy a party some time if they're under heavy attack/need to finish a magic ritual/etc.

I didn't see anything like this in the Library; correct me if I've overlooked something.
  2. samusbot

samusbot Member new

So basically it's a Re-Dead's scream for non Re-Deads?