Conference in the Capital [Social Plot RP]

Discussion in 'Completed RPs' started by Blonde Panther, Jul 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Lawrence resisted the strong urge to grit his teeth. It wasn't bad enough that he had to bring a woman on a dangerous mission- it had to be Serena of Calderon of all people. He was fond of his neighbour, but Lord Calderon was just about the last man in Ylisse whom he wanted to have to tell his daughter had fallen because HE had failed to protect her. Still, he focused on the matter at hand, which was Lady Robin and Prince Chrom briefing them on the mission.

"The sooner you can depart, the better it will be," Lady Robin said. "I'd like you to send a messenger to your respective houses as soon as this meeting ends, after which I suspect Maribelle- I mean, Lady Themis, will take you to her province."

"I will," Lady Themis said. "We can organize and equip the men from there if need be, as well as make changes to the plan if reports from the border guard make it necessary."

Good, Lawrence thought, and he saw the same relieved expression on the face of the prince. If the Exalt was still alive, the Mad King could have her executed at any given moment. There was no time for him to ride to Everett, gather his men, and ride back. A single Pegasus could cross the distance in half the time he had, and Themis was closer than Ylisstol. It would save a lot of time. "What is the plan?" he asked, to which Lady Robin unrolled a map of the lower half of the continent. As he saw her placing weights on the corners to keep it from rolling back up, he volunteered his armorslayer for the last corner, which she gratefully accepted before putting her finger on a dot on the map.

"As you are well aware," she said, as Lawrence and Lady Themis leaned closer, "You will depart from Themis. This part of the border," she moved her hand to an area slightly North of Themis, which was circled in red ink, "Is poorly protected, by a single, small squad of inexperienced knights. You'll leave at night, and if you travel carefully, you may be able to sneak by without too much bloodshed."

Lawrence nodded, but inside, he was doubtful. There was probably a reason Plegia had that part of the border poorly guarded... and something told him that it wasn't the terrain making it impassable. Still, he focused again as Lady Robin continued. "Once clear of the border, you shouldn't be running into too many Plegian soldiers, but remain careful. If needed, you can stock up on supplies here," she pointed at yet another circled area on the map, "It's a small village, not even marked on most maps. We passed by there ourselves, and as long as you don't wear your religion and nationality on your sleeve, they won't ask questions." She drew a line with her finger to an area that was not circled, but marked with an X on the map. "From there on out it's a straight journey to the castle, where the Exalt is most likely being kept."

"You can't miss it," the prince said, frowning. "The courtyard is almost completely occupied by the skull of the Fell Dragon. Be especially careful once you get there. The Mad King and his tactician are foes to be reckoned with, and they're not likely to take kindly to the operation."

"The plan isn't overly detailed," Lady Robin said as she cleared the map and picked it up, apparently preparing to roll it up. "Nor is it completely foolproof. However, that means you have room to change details if things take an unexpected turn, and I trust you will have the capabilities to carry it out and return with Her Grace." She rolled up the map, tied it together, and held it out to Lawrence.
  2. Ultra5

Ultra5 Top hat Goomy reg

3DS Friend Code:
    1891-1711-9337
    Jacob turns to the woman and smiles. "Ah. Lady Beatrix. Yeah I did. Let's walk n' talk yeah?" Nodding his head behind him the way he was walking Jacob continues walking although a lot slower.

"Now I sent Sentinel back ta ma lands ta ready ma Knights an' their Cap'ns an' Commanders. I'll discuss their stations later. Right now tha main thin' is what ya asked fer. Ya want me ta train ya in tha Art o' War eh? Heh heh." Jacob chuckles laying the arm carrying his hammer around Beatrix's shoulders. "Now I know fer a fact yer House Advisers ain't ma biggest fans. An' ya askin' that is sure ta be, unexpected I suppose ta yer advisers."

Jacob smirks pulling Beatrix along the hallway still talking to her. "Now ma trainin' regiment ain't fer tha weak o' heart er will. It'll be tough. But I'll give ya a fightin' force like ya wouldn't believe. There is one thin' though. How many people o' yer House actually don't see me as a power hungry brute? Cause I'm sure yer people don't want ya comin' ta Temple, so how're they gonna react ta me comin' ta yer family's lands?"
  3. Lightascetic

Lightascetic Member reg

Serena cast her eyes over the map quickly, already familiar with its markings. Retrieving a second quill from her bag, as well as a smaller version of the map that Lady Robin had placed before them, she flicked the nib into the inkwell before marking the position of the village. As had already been mentioned, it wasn't already present on her map. As Lady Robin re-rolled her map, Serena folded hers back up, returning it to her bag along with her quill. She stoppered the inkwell and pinched the quill she had lent Lawrence from his limp hand. The times he had sauntered off with her writing implements could no longer be counted on her hands.

"I will see to the message as soon as this meeting is adjourned." Serena confirmed, nodding respectfully. She had been slightly relieved to hear of the freedom they had regarding the plan, for this sounded like the sort of mission that would be very susceptible to change. It didn't however sound like there would be time to consult the tactical brilliance that was her sister, Phyllis, which was a shame. Although she herself was something of a tactician, Serena always found it helpful to bounce ideas between them.

"We will do everything within our collective power to secure your sister and return her to you, I swear it my Prince." She wished that her words could have brought a more immediate comfort to Chrom, but she could more than tell by his weak attempt at a smile that he was extremely distressed, even if he concealed the majority of it.
  4. UnnamedDude

UnnamedDude Lighting up the Fire in the Night vet

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    Beatrix sighed at his questions. "Yes, I have very little doubt that this will be an unpopular decision among the... advisers back home. But let the old men talk. In the end the only one with the power to restrict my decisions is my mother herself." Bea didn't think that was terribly likely, but she left out her own thoughts on it, and as politely as she could manage slipped out from under his hold.

"That said... the best way to keep an eye on you is if I'm right beside you, no? ...They won't argue much after that, I suspect." She smiled slightly, almost disconcertingly, apparently enjoying the thought of shutting up those councilmen. To an outside observer, however, it would appear more as if she were enjoying the thought of the intrigue of politics a tad too much.

She immediately sobered up at the prospect of having her nerve challenged, though. Her face became a grim line instead. "I may not look sturdy, but I've spent some time training with the leader of our pegasus knights before. And I meant what I said; I will not be a leader who cowers behind the brave."
  5. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    For a split second, Lawrence thought he saw the prince's shield break, as the full extent of his sorrow briefly flashed over his face at Serena's words. His friend had always been good at that- hitting men's nerves where they were most sensitive. While unwilling to force the prince to show more weakness by voicing his agreement verbally, the lord of Everett nodded slowly to signify that Serena's promise was his own.

A short silence fell, which was broken by Lady Themis coughing. "May I suggest the Everett-Calderon company takes Sumia with them as a scout? Her vantage point and speed could help greatly if they are to avoid Plegian patrols."

"Sumia's Pegasus hasn't recovered from that silver arrow in its neck," Lady Robin said, "And Cordelia herself is only slowly recovering from that one volley, herself." The shiver that crossed Lady Themis' back told Lawrence that she remembered all too well the volley the tactician spoke of.

"Most of our Pegasus Knights are stationed at the border," Prince Chrom added, thought having replaced the sorrow on his face, "But there should still be some recruits left in the palace along with the guards. I'll select one to accompany you."

Lawrence nodded once more, this time not looking back up. "You are far too generous, Your Grace."

The prince waved it off, changing the subject. "That reminds me... I need to know how many men you will be bringing along. Emmeryn will want to compensate you greatly for every man lost in this operation."

The thought sent a shiver down Lawrence's spine, but he shut his eyes. "Captain Vincent's squad has only recently been formed and few horses have been fully trained for desert sand... If memory serves, I'll have ten men, and then Captain Vincent and myself. Twelve of Everett's finest, in all." He didn't know the exact configuration of the squad, he'd have to leave that to Captain Vincent to figure out.
  6. Ultra5

Ultra5 Top hat Goomy reg

3DS Friend Code:
    1891-1711-9337
    Jacob chuckles a bit when Beatrix comments about her advisers being old men. "'Ey, watch it will ya? I'm sure I'm 'bout as old as some o' 'em. I'm 37 after all." The lord tries to make that as obvious as possible that it was a joke.

"On a more serious note I apologize if ya saw what I said as an attack on yer physical conditionin'. All I meant was Temple's known for it's near extreme trainin' program. An' honestly as far as I'm concerned yer one o' tha braver o' tha Lords an' Ladies 'ere. Lord Lawrence has us all beat wit his offer ta lead an attack inta Plegia." Jacob laughs. The lord hefts his hammer back onto his right shoulder.

"Ya got any good blacksmiths in yer lands?"
  7. UnnamedDude

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    Beatrix gave him a wry smile. "Yes, but you're not the one charged with dithering endlessly over whether or not my latest actions have doomed my house. That aside, I am aware of your reputation. ...That is why I asked, after all. From the rumors, there is no horror that a Risen may inflict upon me that is greater than I would have prepared for under your tutelage." She said with the same ruthless expression. Never once did her smile waver, nor did it ever seem to denote actual mirth, only an unrelenting sense of pursuit.

She raised an eyebrow at his other request, though. "That isn't our normal stock in trade... but yes, I suppose I may know someone capable. I presume you intend to fix that hole?"
  8. Lightascetic

Lightascetic Member reg

Serena spared a moment more of sympathy for Prince Chrom. She was, like her mother, adept at giving emotional support to distressed men. If it wasn't for her mother, Serena was sure her father would be a vegetable now. She shut her eyes, allowing her to frost over her soul-filled eyes to return to the composure of a level-headed lord. She, like Lawrence she noticed, had to dip briefly again into an emotional well, this time for the consideration of death. They would only be a small company, but this was an extremely risky mission. No, I won't let that happen. Steeling herself once more, Serena spoke:

"I am sure at last count, Calderon's finest skirmish team consisted of six mages, including two Troubadours and two Clerics. Our Captain Ronald, a veteran in both magic and swordplay, will accompany them, totalling twelve to match Everett's contribution." She said, drawing away from the table. "With your permission your highness, we should probably begin making preparations." With a well practised curtsey , Serena made for the door.

As soon as the two might wooden doors closed behind her and Lawrence, Serena began walking, hearing her friend's footsteps, albeit cushioned by the hallway's carpets. She could hear the disagreement in his voice before he even had the chance to form any words.

"You cannot deny that I am needed for this mission, Lawrence." She turned her head to him, determination flaring in her eyes. "I do not announce this in arrogance, or in fact gladness." As they turned a corner in the hallway, she shot a gaze over her shoulder at the two guardsmen, stationed by the conference doors that were clearly too intrigued by the progression of their conversation. With a snap of her head, her hair flew around her shoulders as she stalked along the corner of the corridor.

"Please do not attempt to dissuade me, my heart is set on the cause. I want to be able to serve my country, in life and in..." Her words caught in her throat as she saw the look on his face. She pursed her lips as they continued their advance through the building.
  9. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    "Yes," Prince Chrom said in response to Serena's words, "You are both excused. We'll send for Lord Temple and Lady Karina, ourselves." As Lawrence and Serena left, he turned to Robin. "Are you sure about this? We could very well be sending them off to their deaths."

"They both volunteered," Robin said. "I don't think we could have dissuaded them even if we'd tried, and they ARE bringing their own men... I hope you weren't planning on sending Shepherds." She looked at her superior for a few seconds, but then shuffled her papers. "We should probably send for the other two."

"Yes... good idea."

-------

"Serena, I-" Lawrence's childhood friend immediately cut him off. He let her finish, but interrupted her in turn before she could finish her own sentence. "I will not be the one to tell Lady Calderon her eldest died on my watch." He took hold of her arm. "We're under orders or the crown prince, so I can't forbid you to go. But please, stay close to me so I can protect you. I won't tolerate you leaving my sight, do you hear me?"

Letting go of her, he sighed. "Speaking of leaving my sight... it's been too long, Serena. You've changed. How have you and Phyllis been? I heard about Lord Calderon..."
  10. Lightascetic

Lightascetic Member reg

Serena couldn't help but sigh, but his response was better than the alternative she had been expecting. She could feel the desperation in his hold: it was endearing and firm, but not tough.

"If those are your conditions, I shall meet them." She said plainly, controlling her disagreement for his clear issue with having women on the battlefield. It was a part of his personality Serena had been long accustomed to, and she had learned not to take it personally. She would simply have to show him that she was capable, and no longer the naive girl that had almost turned herself into a prisoner of war. She couldn't help but sense a far cry from those events in his voice now. Once more she mentally cursed her younger self for such rash behaviour.

"That it has, and I could very well say the same for you." And in that moment, their titles were forgotten briefly, and they were the friends they used to be: sidelined at a conference ball and discussing youthful things like arranging gifts to surprise their siblings on their birthdays, and commenting on the noble ladies playing hard to get with their suitors. " We have both been fine: her tactical mind is as sharp as ever. A game of soldiers is now no longer a contest: she seizes victory from me almost every time."

At this she smiled fondly, and reminded herself that there would be many more fond memories to create upon their return.

"His stubbornness will be his undoing. Even mother is struggling to keep him confined to the manor. His leg is healing though, but between us? He will never be the same." She would know, for she had tended to his wound first hand. "Are Raymond and Leanne in good health?"
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  11. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    As Lord Temple and Lady Karina fell in, Robin had already prepared a new map, this time a more detailed one of only the Halidom itself. It was all they needed to discuss domestic deployment, after all. "Welcome back," she said as the two nobles seated themselves. "Let us get straight to the point..." She took a quill from the prince, using it to mark an alarming number of places on the map. "These are locations from which we have received word that Risen have appeared there. They haven't shown up in the exact same place twice, but some reports place them very close together."

"We can count on a squad of Everett cavalry," Prince Chrom said, "But I need to know whether to deploy them in one group or as supplements to whatever you have to offer. How much can you spare us, and where can you deploy?"

----

Lawrence chuckled despite himself, taking off his mantle. It was as though removing the garment also took the burden of formality off his shoulders, for he relaxed. "Your sister always was bright. I wish I could have visited more often, but... well. I don't need to tell you what happened." And he didn't want to, either. Fortunately, Serena soon took his mind off of his parents by redirecting it to his siblings. "Ray is doing great. he's beating all of my grades in all academic subjects, and although he is still no match for me on horseback or with a blade, he can shoot better than I could ever hope to. I've actually left him in charge of Everett in my absence."

Leah... was a different story. "Leah is still frequently ill. She'd recovered from something when I left, but I wouldn't be surprised to find her bedridden when I return... I'm worried about her."
  12. Ultra5

Ultra5 Top hat Goomy reg

3DS Friend Code:
    1891-1711-9337
    Jacob observes the map carefully. "Alright. Seems like they're concentrated in...tha hell?" The lord stands up to get a closer look at the map. His eyes widen slightly as he points to one of the markings within his land's borders. "How sure o' this 'en are ya?!" There is a slight alarm in his voice.

Jacob takes a spare pen from the table and circles a section near the dot he pointed to earlier. "That's where Lord Lawrence and I were attacked by tha Risen." He points again to the dot Lady Robin had marked. "An' this is Fort Bannister. A Temple prison outpost and well where ma sister is currently. She's a good friend o' the fort's commander Jhora." A worried look crosses the old lord's face at the mention of his sister. "Wit all due respect Lord Chrom an' Lady Robin I gotta go git 'er. Soon." In Jacob's voice is a worry that few have ever heard from the old armor lord.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  13. UnnamedDude

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    Beatrix Karina glared at the map. They were dead, unreasoning beings, were they not? So why would they be concentrated anywhere? What worried her most was their presence near a few farming areas. As Lord Temple melted down she considered which areas were most vulnerable and valuable. She tapped a few places she knew to house supplies or the like.

"I will deploy a few small groups of assorted foot-soldiers to these areas, but I cannot defend them alone." She shifted her words from Robin and Chrom and onto Jacob. "Lord Temple. Do you intend to storm this outpost, and if so, who are you taking?" She asked very neutrally, her tone betraying nothing. Her reasons for doing this were twofold; first, she needed to know what her fellow lord was about to do. Her house alone was insufficient to guard much of anything, so his cooperation was tantamount regardless of his possible intentions. Second, she still was not entirely certain of the character of House Temple's head and his reaction... and whether or not he was actually telling the truth... would be great indicators of that.
  14. Lightascetic

Lightascetic Member reg

Hearing of Lawrence's siblings always made Serena smile, much the same as mention of Phyllis having a similar effect on him. The smile did not continue when he told of Leah's ill health.

"I am sorry to hear that, I will pray for her recovery." She would have offered her services, but Serena knew Lawrence would already have some of Ylisse's best physicians at her side: she could not compete with that. "I understand. We should schedule a visit. Besides, it would do our people good to see that our house's bond is still strong." Talking about the future helped cool Serena's nerves. Everything would go to plan, she was sure of it. This was also an opportune moment to prove herself. Perhaps, if all went well, Lawrence would at least begin to recognise her independence when it came to war. After running a casual hand through her hair, Serena stalled her pace, allowing for Lawrence to open a set of double doors before her, leading out into a small garden. The gust of wind ruffled her attire. She stepped outside, the sunlight gracing her pristine features as she fluttered her eyelashes against the harsher beams.

"I will ask but one request of you during this mission." She paused, turning to Lawrence who had come to observe the pleasures of the garden beside her. "Please, do not reserve yourself. Act as you would: do not consider my circumstances. I will take comfort from your presence, but I promise I shall call for you if I am in danger. I shan't see you cut down because you were trying to defend me."
  15. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Robin jolted at Lord Temple's violent reaction to seeing the overview, but managed to retain her calm and took another look at what he pointed out. As she did so, Prince Chrom gestured for the older man to calm down. "Sit down, Lord Temple," he said. "I understand your situation, but we have to ensure that all of Ylisse is equally well-defended against these abominations before we undertake any actual action." He turned to the tactician. "Thoughts, Robin?"

"If House Temple can provide some backup to House Karina's troops," she said, "then I think we can afford to send Lord Temple himself to his sister's side. I suggest to send House Everett's squadron here," she pointed to an area of the map where the dots were less frequent, "where the Risen are smaller in number but greater in strength. The cavalry can get around faster and cover a larger area. Meanwhile, if we send Lord Temple to Fort Bannister, he can handle large groups of spawning points at once." She weaved her fingers. "I believe anything more can be handled by the collective Temple-Karina troops. Are there any objections to this?"

------

"Thank you, Serena." Rarely had the words been spoken with greater sincerity than they were now. Leanne was one of the most important people in Lawrence's life, and the thought of losing her to illness was unbearable to him. To hear Serena at least CARE about his little sister was an enormous relief and appeared to relieve some of his burdens.

He held open the doors for Serena and followed her into the garden, letting the wind tousle his hair. He sighed deeply, hoping from the bottom of his heart that Raymond would be alright looking after Everett and that history would not repeat itself, but before he could pray for the Divine Dragon's guidance Serena interrupted his thoughts. "You cannot change my mind on this, Serena. If I see you on the frontlines, I will drag you back myself. I will not see you put yourself into needless risk." More than she already had, anyway.
  16. Ultra5

Ultra5 Top hat Goomy reg

3DS Friend Code:
    1891-1711-9337
    Jacob returns to his seat sighing. "Yer right. Ma apologies ma'lord. I'm sure ya understand ma concern though. She's ma baby sister an' like you I'd stop at nothin' ta make sure she's safe."

Jacob looks again at the map. He points to three more locations within his lands. "I got outpost 'ere, 'ere, an 'ere that got three divisions per. Armor Knights mostly. Support squads o' Soldiers an' Archers. I can mobilize two from each. They're near enough ta tha hot spots that they shouldn't take too long ta get there. An' I can have reinforcements comin' in from Temple Keep easily enough." Jacob looks over at the spot of Fort Bannister again with worry.

"If ya don't mind ma'lord Chrom I'd like ta dispatch a Peg Knight ta those outposts wit their orders so I can head straight ta Bannister. I also request one be sent ta Temple Keep. I'll be needin' a squad of Armors an' soldiers an a squad o' Archers."
  17. UnnamedDude

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    Beatrix tapped her finger to her arm. At least the defenses were coming together... That was a great weight off her chest. That such a fearsome lord would be so concerned, though, did worry her somewhat. Whatever was there, sister or not, had to be important for Lord Temple to be quite so discomforted. Whether it was benign as his current demeanor suggested or aggressive as her advisers would have her believe was yet to be seen.

"I will volunteer to accompany Lord Temple," the lady of Karina said tonelessly. She offered no explanation further than that, but she did wordlessly glance at him to gauge what kind of reaction he might have.
  18. Lightascetic

Lightascetic Member reg

She had heard that tone more times than she could remember: there was no possibility of earning any more leeway from Lawrence at this point. It was enough that he consented to her going. No wonder he got on so well with her father. "Worry not." Was all she could say. Serena had spent entire evenings debating with him on matters such as these. Although they usually did so in jest, now was not the time. If she had learned anything from her ascent into adulthood, it was that in war, anything was possible. With a contemptuous sigh, Serena turned away from the vibrant garden, her hair playing on the wind beside her.

"I suppose it is time, for we have none to spare, I fear." She said.
  19. Blonde Panther

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    "I will make them available, Lord Temple," Prince Chrom said, referring to both of the Pegasus Knights that the blonde lord had said he required and taking Robin's quill to make a note. "Before the day is over I will send one Pegasus Knight to Temple Keep, one to Fort Banister, and one to accompany the other two..." his face had momentarily started to show signs of exhaustion, but he jolted back to alertness when Robin jerked her quill back out of his hand.

"You will rest," she corrected him. "I will ensure that the Pegasus Knights are deployed properly while you let Princess Lissa tend to your wound." He knew better than to argue with her in front of his subordinates, not contesting her words. Robin turned back to the other nobles present. "Lady Karina, if you accompany Lord Temple and make troops available to back the Temple troops, then I believe we will have all we need to protect our lands. If there are no further questions?"

-----------

"You're right." Lawrence used one hand to brush his hair away from his forehead. "This is the Exalt we're going to save... there's no time to waste." He turned around, starting to walk back inside the walls of the castle. "I'll get started on that message to Captain Vincent and send Leonard home with one for Ray while I'm at it. You should probably send word to Calderon too, Serena." He smiled. "Send Phyllis my regards, too."
  20. Ultra5

Ultra5 Top hat Goomy reg

3DS Friend Code:
    1891-1711-9337
    Jacob nods slightly at Chrom's assurance on his request. "Ma'lord If I may I'd like a Peg Knight not be involved in Bannister. It's a Temple fort an' only Temple blood should be spilled there. I don't wish ta endanger any o' yer troops. An' Lady Karina this ain't gonna be easy. I ain't gonna keep ya from commin', but know this, they took out a Temple Prison. Whoever they are they ain'tno slouches an' although yer safety's a high priority I promise nothin'. I don't even make any promises 'bout maself." The Armor Lord gives a grave look as he says that before smirking again. "Let's go kick some ass eh? Er...ma apologies again ma'lord an' lady. I'm just a vulgar old man." Chuckling to himself Jacob looks to Robin. "If ya don't mind mi'lady could ya send orders wit the Peg headin' ta Temple Keep? I need a new set o' armor."
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.