Chasing Fairies (Solo)

Discussion in 'Northern Hyrule' started by Electronic Ink, May 23, 2016.

1. Electronic Ink

Electronic Ink local zora vet

The dirt crunched gently under the toes of the soft white Yeti that wandered across the path to Lon Lon Ranch, a whistling wind threatening to pull her broad hat off her head. She reached into a pouch and pulled out a small seed, which she crunched between tombstone-like molars. A rush of cold energy spread through her, and she made a quiet purring sound at the oh-so-familiar feeling of her saliva freezing into little fractals of ice, before rapidly melting again and allowing a torrent of cold water to flow down her throat.

Yeteta's plodding gait meant that it took an obscenely long time to move anywhere, really. By the time the sun had reached the horizon, casting fiery lances of twilight over the grassy field and making mere shadows look like ghostly apparitions, the Yeti was still only halfway to her destination. Her coat dragged along behind her as she tired, gathering thistles and brambles in the ends that would inevitably become stuck in her thick fur. Finally she gave up, flopping to the ground in the middle of nowhere, snuggling her coat about her. There was little chance of becoming cold, not as a Yeti, but she still didn't like the mess the night wind would make of her fur.

She was awoken the next morning by clattering hooves and a rude shout.
    "Hey! Get outta the way, ya drunk idiot!"
    Yeteta sat up sharply to see a teetering Hylian man driving a cart, beside him sitting an awkward-looking Zora woman.
    "Move, ya dozy cow!"
    Yeteta wobbled tiredly to her feet.
    "You going Lon-Lon?"
    "Yes, we're going to Lon Lon, you idiot," snapped the man. "You're blocking the road!"
    "Can I go with?"
    The Zora woman shifted uncomfortably.
    "Only if you can pay," barked the man. Yeteta frowned.
    "How much?"
    "Ten rupee's 'll do the trick,"

The Yeti fished ten individual green rupees from one of her pouches stuffed in her hat, holding them out proudly and clambering onto the cart beside the Zora woman. The Hylian pocketed the Rupees, his mood apparently significantly brighter.
    "My name Yeteta," the Yeti said to the Zora, who smiled warmly and fixed glasses up her nose.
    "I'm Yuku," she said. "It's lovely to meet you, Yeteta,"
  2. Electronic Ink

They reached Lon Lon Ranch by midday, and Yeteta more-or-less tripped off the side of the wagon, followed gracefully by the Zora, Yuku.
    "Thank you," Yuku said warmly to the Hylian man, who tipped his hat and cracked the reins. The cart rumbled away down the road, and Yuku turned to Yeteta.
    "Do you know where the Barnhouse Inn is, by any chance?" she asked anxiously. "I'm supposed to meet someone there..."
    Yeteta frowned.
    "No," she said. "I only come here to see ponies,"
    Yuku tipped her head sideways, her equivalent of raising an eyebrow.
    "You...travelled here to see a horse? You do realise there was a horse pulling our cart?"

Yeteta yelped in horror.
    "That was pony?"
    She spun like she wanted to chase after the now-distant cart, and Yuku shook her head.
    "I'm sure you'll find your ponies,"
    The Zora dug a pipe and a lump of what looked to be dried seaweed out of her belt, stuffing the weed in the pipe and lighting it with a quick jolt of electricity from her natural electric aura. Yeteta watched, bemused, as Yuku brought the pipe to her lips and breathed deeply.

"Okay," she said, feeling more relaxed with the kelpweed calming her. "It can't be that hard to find. And I can always ask for directions..."
    "I help!" said Yeteta suddenly. "I help Fishy find inn!"
    Yuku stared for a second, bluntly realising that she was 'Fishy'.
    "Oh Nayru," she breathed. Even her kids weren't this bad.
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
  3. Electronic Ink

Yeteta waved the cloud of acrid smoke away, mildly bewildered as to why the Zora lady seemed to be deliberately breathing it in. Yeteta walked with clumping footsteps down the street, looking in every window as if expecting to see someone who would beckon her in. Yuku followed with a mild sense of resignation, reading the signs over doors they passed- like any normal person would think to do- and was therefore extremely surprised when the Yeti found it first.
    "I founds Barnhouse!"

Yeteta bounced smugly on the balls of her feet, rocking back and forth. The bell on the end of her hat jangled merrily, as if taunting her companion. She pushed open the door. "Is there ponies in here?"
    She yelped as her Zora companion shoved past her, looking around.
    "Is there a Zora named Kyle in here?" she said loudly. She was largely ignored, so Yeteta strode up to the bar and climbed onto a stool like a beached walrus.
    "Is Kyle in here?" she said squeakily to the bartender, who frowned.
    "Actually, I think there was one here,. But last night though, not today,"
    Yuku gasped and leaned forward on the counter.

"Do you know where he went? It's important that I meet him!" she said anxiously, and the bartender waved a hand to calm her.
    "Chill your gills, girl," he said. "Last I saw, he was being chatted up by some kid. Kid looked like he wanted something out of the guy,"
    "Do you know who the kid was?" Yuku begged. Yeteta frowned. Why was Fishy wanting this 'Kyle' so much?
    "Haven't the foggiest, girl," the bartender said apologetically. "All I noticed was that he carried a rather large sword, and he was wearing all purple,"
    Yeteta looked at Yuku, who puffed harder on her pipe, releasing more of the acrid smoke. The bartender glared.
    "Listen, girl, if you want to find the kid it's not hard. He said someone might come in here looking for him."

Yuku nearly spat her pipe at the man.
    "Where do I find him??"
    The bartender shrugged.
    "He said to follow the crow. I have absolutely no idea what the hell that's supposed to mean, but that's what he said."
    Yuku looked crushed.
  4. Electronic Ink

Yuku sighed deeply and huffed, turning away from the bartender.
    "Thank you," she said dejectedly. The man gave a concerned look.
    "What was so important, anyways?"
    "It's personal," said Yuku, clamming up sharpish. The bartender sighed.
    "Sure you don't want a drink, girl?"
    "Stop calling me girl,"
    "Can I has drink?"
    "Sure."

Yeteta handed the man a few rupees and he responded with a little jar of milk, which Yeteta immediately fell in love with. She dropped a chill seed in the drink and squashed it with a finger; the milk formed a frosty layer on top and when she drank it it was ice-cold. And tasty! Yeteta gulped down the bottle and put it down just as Yuku stood up.
    "I'd better get going," she said. "I have a crow to find.
    "I help," Yeteta said brightly, and Yuku rolled her eyes, puffing one last time on her pipe before it burned out and she emptied the ashes onto the rather dirty floor, to the barman's annoyance.

As it turned out, the crow wasn't that hard to find at all.
    No sooner had Yuku stepped outside the bar had she found rather sharp little talons digging into her hood. When she shrieked and flailed to get it off, the crow took flight with a derisive caw, like it was laughing, and Yuku let out a shout. She snatched after the bird, which had abnormally large wings, as it turned tail and started soaring away.
    "Q-quick!" cried the Zora. "After it!"
    Several passersby glanced in surprise as Yuku bolted through the streets, with Yeteta in hot pursuit behind her.

They followed the cawing bird all the way into the outskirts of town, jumping someone's fence into a paddock and narrowly avoiding cow droppings, tipping Yuku off that the bird was leading them through someone's dairy farm. Or a beef farm. Finally the bird circled a farmhouse before swooping down the chimney, and Yuku skidded to a panting halt in front of the door.
    "I...what the hell..."
    She knocked on the door, and a rather juvenile voice called "Come in!"
  5. Electronic Ink

Yeteta opened the door curiously, the brim of her hat preceding her through the door.
    “There is purple person!” she shrieked happily. “I found him, Fishy!”
    “My name isn’t Fishy,” snapped Yuku, shoving the door open and scooting the Yeti forward. Yeteta clomped up to the boy sitting at the table, which was fully set out as if he had been waiting for dinner guests. His arm was resting on the table and the crow was perched on a thick leather gauntlet that wrapped his wrist.
    “Oh? So you’re the Zora lady, then?”
    “No kidding,” Yuku said crossly. “The bartender at the Barnhouse Inn said-”

“Oh, really,” said the boy in a tone that immediately annoyed Yeteta. “We’re going straight to business? You don’t want a snack before we talk shop?”
    “I like snacks,” said Yeteta absently, and the boy snickered.
    “So are introductions in order?”
    Yuku glared at the boy.
    “I’m Yuku,” she said grudgingly. “And this is Yeteta,”
    “I’m Seven,” the boy nodded, tipping his beret formally. “The Zora from last night said nothing about a Yeti though. I have a thing about Yeti,”

Yeteta pouted.
    “I wait outside?” she said, sounding very much like she did not want to wait outside. Seven laughed.
    “No, no,” he said. “You guys are funny. Stay, I insist,”
    Yuku was gripping the edge of the table so hard her scales were popping slightly off her knuckles.
    “You did meet him!” she said. “Do you know where he went?”

Seven scowled.
    “What part of not talking shop didn’t you get?” he asked angrily, and something in his voice had changed. He flicked his wrist up off the table and the crow with the large wings took flight as he crossed his arms and leaned forwards. Yuku found herself leaning backwards in her chair. “Let me get something straight, squid-lady. I led you here to talk. Not to be interrogated. So stop your complaining and shut up!

Yuku swallowed, surreptitiously glancing to the door and wondering how quickly she could make it there, before the boy could get her. She found the crow catching her eye and her scales tightened on the back of her neck, a chill running down her spine. The bird’s eyes burned with a derisive humour that made her suddenly certain that it was no normal bird.
  6. Electronic Ink

Seven delicately lifted one of the knives from the table, twirling it between two fingers. Sure, he may have spent a few hours practicing it to get it right, but now that he had he felt rather intimidating. Yuku, on the other hand, was extraordinarily glad that she didn't have the kids with her. This kid was obviously unstable.
    “Ask away,” she said, fighting to keep her voice even. Seven gave an eerie toothy smile that looked to Yuku like a stage-smile. She recognised the way he was pulling his lips back more than was really necessary. The kind of smile she had once done when performing, when you had a blazing fire’s light reflected at you with mirrors.

Seven twirled the knife a little faster, wincing momentarily as he nicked his finger. If anything, it made him look even more psycho as the thin streak of blood ran down his hand.
    “I wanted to know what happens to Zora eggs that don’t hatch,” he said conversationally. There was a moment of shocked silence, before Yeteta less-than-tactfully broke it.
    “Fishy has eggs?”

Seven rolled his eyes.
    “I change my mind. Someone kill the Yeti,”
    The bird moved as if to obey, and Yeteta screeched, standing up abruptly and allowing her fists to suddenly blaze with chill.
    “No kill Yeteta!” she howled, lunging forwards with a Yeti Punch. Seven looked astonished for a moment before the crow swooped at him, shoving him out of the way. The punch shattered through the wall, frost surrounding the damage, and then Yuku cried out as Seven whipped around, his sword in hand. The blade slashed across Yeteta’s arm and the Yeti let out a piercing scream as the Shadow Enchantment of the blade came into effect. Yuku shot to her feet as Yeteta crumpled, howling.

“Stop!” she cried. “What the hell?”
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
  7. Electronic Ink

Yuku was on her feet before she even registered the thought to get up. She raced to Yeteta’s side; the Yeti was curled up, tears leaking from round cow-like eyes as she looked at Yuku with pleading misery.
    “Hurts!” the Yeti whined; Yuku suddenly had the illogical wondering of how old Yeteta was. The Zora moved Yeteta’s white cloak, which was now stained with red, and looked at the wound, suppressing the urge to look away. She swiped away the blood, stomach lurching a little, and looked closer at the cut.
    “It’s not too bad, don’t worry,” she soothed the Yeti, who was still bawling. “He only just got you,”

She reached around, lifting the lower edge of her dress and tearing it with sharp Zora teeth, ripping off a long strip to use as a bandage. Internally she whinged; maybe she should stop bothering with clothes, seeing how frequently they were damaged. Especially after the Octorok fiasco. Yuku tied the fabric around Yeteta’s cut tightly, offering a happy smile.
    “See? All better!”
    Yeteta sniffled as Yuku turned on Seven.

“What is wrong with you?” she demanded. Seven shrugged guiltily.
    “Depends on who you ask. Sorry. She did attack me first though,”
    “Come on, Yeteta. We’re leaving.” the Zora said angrily. She made to help the tubby Yeti to her feet when Seven’s voice cut through her next sentence.
    “Not if you want your kids back.”
  8. Electronic Ink

Yuku spun back around at such a speed that her own tentacles whipped around and hit her.
    "You took them?" she snarled, and her voice was suddenly terrible. Yeteta looked like she had no clue, while Seven gave an apologetic look.
    "I know. Guilty as charged. But I only took them off your Zora mate, he's the one who stole them first."
    Yuku's eyes had a hard look about them, blazing with maternal rage. She suddenly decided to mimick Yeteta and lunge forward; this time, the crow wasn't fast enough, and Yuku grabbed Seven by the throat and pushed him against the wall that Yeteta had punched a hole through.
    "WHERE ARE THEY?!" she screamed furiously, spit flying over Seven's face. The crow squawked but Yuku slapped it away with a tentacle and didn't break eye contact with Seven, who looked terrified.
    "H-hey! Get off me!" he yowled, kicking out and catching her knee. Yuku shrieked and released him, pulling her weight off her knee at the same time as Seven massaged his neck and hawked in air.

"Din, woman!" he said angrily, "I have them, but I haven't touched them! Jeez!"
    Yuku's glare was enough to spook the most hardened Darknut warrior.
    "Where. Are. My. Children?" she hissed vehemently, hatred practically dripping from her mouth. The Hylian boy frowned.
    "I hid them in the town. I'll tell you where if you answer my question,"
    There was a punctual yowl from Yeteta, who had just poked her own arm, which both Seven and Yuku ignored. The Zora stared at Seven for a good two minutes before finally deciding that the information couldn't be used harmfully.
    "We bury them at the bottom of the domain," she said raggedly. "Now where are they?"

Seven nodded graciously.
    "Finally," he said. "Thank you. I'll have Fairy Blue here take you to them,"
    With a caw, the crow moved towards Yuku, who glared at it.
    "Will you leave without your crow?"
    "Never," said Seven innocently. Yuku frowned.
    "I don't believe you. I want something of yours. So if you've done anything you won't have scarpered,"
    Seven blinked.
    "Uh...you can have my hat?"
    Yuku looked him up and down.
    "Your sword," she said finally. It looked like the most valuable thing on him. "Give me your sword,"
  9. Electronic Ink

Seven looked scandalised.
    "What? No, you can't have that!"
    Which was all Yuku needed to know she had picked well.
    "You stole my children, you scumbag. I'll return your sword when they're safe in my arms. Until then, hand it over,"
    The Hylian looked helplessly at his crow, and it was almost as if they had a wordless exchange before Seven scowled and undid the straps keeping the scabbard at his belt.

"Here," he snapped, holding out the blue sheath with the violet hilt protruding. "Take good care of it. I like to think it was made by my father."
    For half a second Yuku's heart softened; then hardened again as she took the weapon and clasped the straps on her own belt, opposite her own cutlass blade.
    "I'll keep it safe so long as my children are safe," she promised. "If they're not I'm melting this into a lump of twisted iron.
    She didn't miss the sudden fearful, questioning look he threw at the bird, but she did choose to ignore it.

"Come on, Yeteta," she said gently. "We can get your cut seen to,"
    Yeteta rolled to her feet, giving Seven a dirty look as she shuffled up to Yuku. Yuku gave Seven a curt nod and opened the door; the crow swooped out of the opening, and Yuku followed.
    ------
    The crow led them right back into town; by the time they had gotten there, Yeteta had stopped crying. Yuku followed the bird through the street, passing by a rickety building. Yuku quickened her pace as the crow suddenly banked left, along a side alley. Yuku made to follow when she realised she had lost Yeteta, behind in the crowd.
    "Hey, bird!" Yuku cried. "Wait up, we lost Yeteta,"
    She felt rather dumb talking to the crow, but it stopped immediately at her words, looping back to land on Yuku's hood. The Zora winced at the talons digging in between her scales, looking around for the Yeti desperately.
  10. Electronic Ink

Yuku let out a curse angrily. She didn't have time for this bull! Whirling around, she tore back up the street. Between the crow on her head, her ragged, torn dress, and the Yeti blood still stuck in between the scales on her hand, she must have looked quite the sight. Several people gave her a look usually reserved for beggars and vagabonds, but Yuku ignored them as her bare flippered feet slapped against the packed dirt and stone of the road. She yelped in pain as she stepped on a stone, hopping along for a metre before biting her tongue and keeping running.
    "Yeteta?" she yelled. She hoped the Yeti had just gotten lost, but her paranoia had increased tenfold since her triplets had been stolen. Her mind was conjuring images of kidnap, robbery...animal poaching? The paranoia was momentarily overwhelmed with guilt as she wondered whether or not Yeteta qualified as an animal. Honestly, Yeteta had looked like some breed of monster to Yuku, but Hylians apparently had no issues with the fluffy Yeti at all. Although her fur was certainly soft, and Yuku wouldn't put it past some Hylian scumbag to try and poach her for it.

Don't be racist, she chided herself. Where the hell did that Yeti go? It's not like she's hard to spot...
    She almost dashed straight past the Yeti...caught in a tangle of hawkers.
    "You must need a Bottomless Bottle!" one cried. "You'll never be caught without again!"
    "This Backshift Cape is vital for any adventurer!"
    "No magician is complete without the Fire spell!"
    "This magical Fairy Pin is said to allow one to create fairies!"
    Yeteta was stuck in the middle of all of them, none of whom seemed ready to let her leave without buying their merchandise. It looked like Yeteta didn't understand hawking; she was trying to buy all of the hawkers' products. She already had the 'magical' fairy pin - a shiny pink metal badge in the shape of a fairy- in her hand, and Yuku nearly fainted at the sight of the luckless Yeti handing over an entire purple rupee for the pin.

"That's enough!" she snapped, grabbing Yeteta's hand. The Yeti looked utterly bemused.
    "They says I have to buy," she said. "I don't think I has enough rupees,"
    "Ignore them," said Yuku firmly, casting a glare at the hawkers. Evidently they had recognised Yeteta as being...slightly less intelligent than most clientele. "They're trying to trick you into giving them all your rupees,"
    Yeteta's eyes were as wide as dinner plates.
    "ALL my rupees? They can't has all my rupees!"
    "Come on, Yeteta! We have to get my children back!"
  11. Electronic Ink

Yeteta jogged after the Zora, mentally wailing about her lost rupees. The fairy pin's edges cut into her hand as she gripped it tightly; was it magic? She hoped it was; she didn't want to have wasted so much rupees on one pin.
    She noticed Yuku was moving faster, and sped up to follow the bird.

The crow swooped in between two buildings, and Yeteta almost missed Yuku following. The Yeti's shoulders scraped against the walls on either side; she let out a horrified screech as a brick poked her injured arm. Round cow eyes widening, Yeteta wrapped her hand around the cut that was slowly scabbing over. Sore! Very much so! Now with knuckles rubbing against the bricks, fur scratching off between the stone. Yuku didn't even turn at the cry; her tentacles flew wildly, the Zora a frenzied mess. Yeteta felt mildly stupid following a bird, but then, birds were almost as cool as ponies. Speaking of, Yeteta still hadn't found a pony. She'd have to do that, once Fishy found her kids.

And as if by magic, Yuku let out a triumphant cry of joy. Sticking out of the ground, an eddying miniature whirlpool inside, was a cylindrical tank. Yuku dug it out of the ground and held it to her chest, then balanced it on its end and opened a hatch. Three tiny Zora leaped into her waiting palms; she held them to her face, weeping salty tears of joy. Yeteta smiled happily; so cuuute! The crow was waiting; it dove towards Yuku and deftly undid the extra belt. Against all logic, the crow lifted the large sword like it was nothing; it swooped out of the alleyway and disappeared around the corner. Yeteta watched, then slipped out of the alleyway after the crow, leaving Yuku alone with her children.

-END-

Rewards:
    Total Rupees Earned:
    +40 for Quest
    +30 for Three Characters
    +30 to Yeteta for Rupee Riches
    -50 from Yeteta for Tiny Fairy Race Licence (signified by the non-magical fairy pin in-story)

End Results:
    Yeteta: 10 + 30 - 50 = -10 rupees
    Yuku: 10 + 10 = 20 rupees
    Seven: 10 + 30 = 40 rupees
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016