Chase Simba

Discussion in 'Archives' started by Eternis, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Eternis

Eternis Page of Time reg

Honor: Regular
    Name: Chase Simba
    Race: Northern Civilian
    Place of Origin: Birth unknown, but was raised by a professor at a militaristic university between the Embassies of Hyrule and the Military District.
    PWC: 1/5/1
    Treasures: Magic proficiency, rupee riches, Arcane bolt ([20] 20), Aqua grenade ([50] 70), Blizzard ([30] 100), Master of Machine and Magic ([10] 110), Farore's Wind ([40] 150), 50 rupees.
    Height: 6'2"
    Weight: 148lbs.
    Equipment: Well-fitting leather walking boots, light linen trousers, embroidered silk shirt, heavy linen over-shirt, light-leather overpants, heavy oiled-leather cloak, oiled-leather waterproof, fire-resistant book bag, travel journal.
    Appearance: A tall, slightly gangly young man with raven-black hair and deep, almost hypnotic blue eyes. He has an extremely contradictory nature, with extreme confidence in his abilities, but very little self worth. This lack causes him to hold himself relatively hunched, almost in deference to whomever he speaks, which makes him look a lot smaller than he really is, but when he stands at his full height he cuts an imposing figure. His clothes are of good make, not quite of noble class, but not far below it, although they, as well as his hair, are constantly in an untidy state.
    Personality: Chase is a quiet, bright young man with a distinct lack of confidence. His training in the university allows him to speak with a clear tone, and he is a fantastic operatic tenor. In fact, while working on a particularily difficult problem, Chase will often spontaneously break into song, often to the annoyance of his companions. He feels uneasy around Hylians that he doesn't know well, and prefers to associate with other races instead. He would be handsome, were it not for his habits keeping himself small. He avoids conflict whenever he can, but stays resolute when in actual battle and uses all the magic available to him to protect others. He is still naïve, and believes that everyone is at heart good, and that the invasion in the south could have been prevented with better discipline. He is extremely pious, going to the temple whenever he has a moral quandary, and takes comfort in the belief that his evening prayers will be heard by a force with powers beyond his own that will do what is best for him.
    Backstory: Chase has no idea who is real parents are, and neither does his adopted father, Professor Augustus Simba. He was simply found abandoned at the door of the temple when Augustus went to perform his morning prayers, and after asking the priest and all others he could, decided to adopt the child.
    Augustus raised him as if he was his own child, teaching him as much as he could. He took an interest in the history of hyrule, and, when he was old enough, Augustus enlisted him in his university, which taught Chase to use his natural skills as means to defend himself. He learnt voraciously, but constsntly failed the physical requirements. He was contantly bullied for his lack of status and stature by the other hylians, and found friends only among the non-Hylians there. Ever since, he has had a distinct reluctance to associate with his own people, and prefers to talk with anyone else. Eventually graduating with only academic honours at the age of 18, he fell into a minor depression*. Deciding that his adopted son needed to learn more of life to gain confidence in himself, Augustus sent Chase out to learn more of life and to record his journey.
    Chase has decided to start his journey as a member of the Norhern Offensive, believing that there is no greater goal than the re-unification of hyrule.

(He has no pet, and he won't come back home for at least 7 years, so he has no current residence)

Note: This is a character idea I had as I was reading the current plot update: a naïve member of the northern army slowly becoming more and more disillusioned with what he'd previously believed in the north.
    *See "first world problems" meme :haa:
  2. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

Re: New Character: Chase Simba

Your treasures confused me. I know that you're just showing the sums in parentheses, but could you please put in what the treasure in question actually cost in there? That makes it much easier to check each individual treasure with the Library. Thanks.

As far as aesthetics and "easy-on-the-eyes" goes, and while you're editing the post, could you please put in spaces between the different categories? It makes things look so much nicer. Thanks!

Sorry, but no. Appearing as a baby in the middle of the altar in Hyrule Castle Town's greatest temple in a flash of yellow-white light? Sorry, E, but that's far too Mary-Suey to pass.

Optional Critiques (open)
    There are only a few other things that I'd like to bring up. You say he has a tendency to crouch over, but he also graduated from a military academy while being raised by a military professor. The two don't really add up. Also, humans are generally creatures of habit. I'm not sure if a shy, quiet, non-confrontational person with very little self-confidence would become a valiant hero in battle, just like that. With his appearance, is that what he wore to the military academy and plans to wear in the military? Embroidered silk seems like something that a pampered scholar would wear, not really a soldier.

The thing I liked best about this sheet was the bit about the opera. That shows real depth, that he's an actual person. Everything else is just dry bones facts, you know? Smart, quiet, shy, etc. That part about enjoying opera and singing when he works on a problem gave him depth and made him seem more real. You should think about expanding on things like that, things that show who he really is as a person.

Think about fleshing out his backstory. It's pretty sparse right now, and while I understand that those are the big points in his life (orphan, military professor father, university, graduation, freedom, join army), you could expand on them more. I think of it like digging deeper down versus digging farther out. You don't need to think up any more life events, but consider expanding upon what's already there.

So, if you're like me and you prefer having a clear list of the essential things to do, here it is.

1) Fix the origin story.
    2) Add a space between each category.
    3) Fix the treasure costs.

Ribs will be along soon to offer his thoughts.
  3. Eternis

Eternis Page of Time reg

Hmm... I was trying to say that his parents knew the prelude of light but for some reason couldn't make it back, and I didn't know how to make that obvious. Cos seriously, I'm probably going to kill him off in like a month. I hate "special" characters.

The others are good points though. I'll work on them now.

Edit: How should I write the prelude of light bit in? I have no idea from where I'm standing, but you're probably a much better writer than me.
  4. Ribitta

Ribitta What would you ask of me? reg

If it's gunna be the Prelude of Light, I would say it's probably just better to avoid it. It's a tricky spell, and we may have future plans for it. Just simply saying that he was a child abandoned at the temple should be more than enough to fill the needs of this character while avoiding sue-ism and such. Also, could you make the title thread just the name of the character?
  5. Eternis

Eternis Page of Time reg

Yeah..... Can I scrap this one?
    The "day of three" present means I have a much more fun character to play with!
  6. Quill

Quill Leaf on the Wind reg

If you wish.