Beyond the Borders

Discussion in 'Dead RPs' started by Blonde Panther, Nov 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Beyond the Borders
    - Lawrence Everett, level 10+ Lord, Swords C+ [Blonde Panther]
    - Serena Calderon, level 10 Lord, Staves C [Lightascetic]
    - Min'nei, level 10 Soldier, Lances C [Darth Slaverus]
    Discussion

It was dusk. Not quite dark enough that they needed torches to see the path ahead, but dark enough that the border guard should be tiring. A tired border guard was easier to ambush or evade, after all. Lawrence ran a final inspection of his men, knowing they were all capable of preparing their horses for the mission. He didn't know why, especially after Captain Vincent had already run an inspection of his own. Still, it gave him peace of mind to look at the confident faces of his men and randomly step forward to check the tightness of a cinch or a bridle.

The horses were silent, calm. It was reassuring. These animals were the finest-trained specimens of Everett, his militia's pride and joy. Traveling at night did not faze them, nor did unstable terrain or magic being hurled at them. And if it did faze them, their masters would be capable of reining them in, providing an altogether stable company.

He stopped in front of a particular warrior. He was principally opposed to bringing this woman with him, but she had technically bested him in combat; he had no choice. It was either bring her or bring genuine shame to his family. "Dame Min'nei," he said, his voice cutting the twilight air more sharply than he had hoped it would, "You will ride with Dame Rayne, as we agreed. Should your situation grow dire, do not hesitate to let her or me know."

He turned around to his fellow commander. "Serena. Everett's men and women are ready. What of Calderon's?"
  2. Lightascetic

Lightascetic Member reg

Despite herself, Serena had entered a reverie. Here she was standing, about to embark on possibly the most dangerous excursion she had ever faced. Naturally she was nervous, but her determination was far more prominent here. This was an opportunity to really prove herself to a multitude of people, namely Lawrence, Price Chrom, and her own doting father. And on top of all that, there was a very valuable life that needed saving.

Luckily she resolved her inner thoughts before Lawrence addressed her, fixing him with a confident gaze.

"They are also ready." She answered, looking over her entourage of cowled mages; the veil of twilight in tandem with their garments morphing their faces into unrecognisable shadows. She had been surprised at their willingness to follow her, even against her father's reluctant wishes. She supposed her prowess as Calderon's eldest surpassed her own preconceptions. After running a precautionary hand over the various staves attached to her belt, she gave Lawrence a gentle nod before she approached the woman he had just spoken to. He had of course notified her of the reasoning for her attendance: a tale which had tested her self-control. Hearing that he had been bested by a woman was an amusing irony. After her fine fingers rummaged in a pouch by her waist, Serena produced a small glass phial containing a rosy pink liquid, stoppered with a metal cap.

"This is a healing draught I concocted myself." She motioned, holding out the phial in her open palm. "It should abate any discomforts you experience during the ride." For a moment, she let her noble guise waver: "Do not feel obliged, Lady Min'nei." The last thing Serena wanted to do was intimidate her. In fact, she held her in reverence for her feat over Lawrence.
  3. Darth_Slaverus

Darth_Slaverus Member vet

Fearing that the circumstances surrounding her duel with Sir Everett had been greatly embellished in the various rumours circulating around the assembled force, Min'nei's reserved disposition had kept her from interacting with Lawrence's troops beyond what was strictly neccessary for the upcoming operation. The heart of an army was its commander, and she had no wish to undermine Sir Everett's leadership by fraternizing with his men. There was still a lingering tension between the sickly warrior and the Ylissean lord... Min'nei could feel it, and she resolved to do her best to discourage such a rivalry. There was too much at stake.

Privately, she was also embarassed at how the whole affair had unfolded. Her illness had returned in force since her bout with Lawrence, robbing her of precious strength she would surely need in the coming days. Try as she might, she knew she could not conceal the relentless fits of coughing that had heralded the latest episode of nauseation. Her position was delicate- if Sir Everett could find sufficient grounds for forbidding her from joining his entourage, he might take it. That could not be allowed to happen.

Thus, when he came to issue his orders, Min'nei did not attempt to speak, substituting a quick bow for a verbal acknowledgement. However, her silence was not destined to last; a similarly-regal woman stepped forward to stand alongside Sir Everett and held out a glass vial. Of course, Min'nei had been informed that another Ylissean noble had committed their retinue to rescuing the Exalt: one Lady Serena Calderon. But nothing could have prepared her for Lady Calderon's unexpected generosity.

Eyes widening, Min'nei's usually-stoic expression softened, and she parted her lips to speak, only to be met with an onslaught of frightful coughs, even as she bowed low to demonstrate her gratitude. "Y-You... honour me." Min'nei managed, wheezing out the words in-between coughs. "I-I swear... that I sh-shall... r-repay your kindness, My Lady." To present such a personalized gift to someone you have never even met... Lady Calderon was evidently a master of courtly etiquette, to Min'nei's pleasant surprise.

Recognizing a potential ally, the sickly warrior turned her gaze toward Lawrence as she reached for the proffered medicine. "It is strange... Lord Everett r-readily accepts your company, but... would turn away my aid... on the basis of my gender...?" Although weakened by her affliction, Min'nei's voice held an accusatory tone of disapproval. While she regretted antagonizing the man further, his hypocrisy was too blatant to ignore. Now that she was aware of Lady Calderon's benevolent nature, she saw no reason to hold her tongue. If Sir Everett took umbrage at her question, she could simply petition the noblewoman to let her stay.
  4. Blonde Panther

Blonde Panther Not always sweet and delicate vet

3DS Friend Code:
    4270-0958-9582
    Lawrence either didn't hear or chose not to hear Serena's conversation with Min'nei as he walked back to the start of the line of soldiers from Everett. It was there that a black-haired man with a prominent, sharp nose stood next to a shining black horse, both lightly armoured and covered in black and dark red cloth. Vincent the Hawk was one of his finest men, both as a rider and as a sorcerer, and it had been his idea originally to set up a squad specialized in difficult terrain. Lawrence had given him the funding he needed, but other than that the training had been entirely Vincent's doing.

"We'd best hurry, my lord," the Dark Knight said, turning his body towards his horse and grabbing hold of the saddle. "The border guard is due to change in less than an hour. The day guard is exhausted, but once the night guard gets in, ambushing them will be challenging."

"Very well." Just past Vincent and his mount stood a different, brown horse, whose ears perked as she saw her own master approaching. While he was not as fine a rider as many of the men with him, Lawrence did manage to sling himself into Guinevere's saddle quickly and without a hitch, taking his reins as short as he could without inconveniencing the mare. When they saw their captain and their liege mounting, the squad had followed his example. "Men of Everett and Calderon," Lawrence spoke, "I do not need to remind you of how important this mission is, or that failure is not an option. You will follow both my and Lady Serena's orders regardless of your allegiance. We are leaving now, before the guards are replaced by fresh ones."

With those words, he turned Guinevere around. Next to him, Vincent did the same with his own horse, and behind them, he heard hooves clopping around as his men turned and effortlessly fell into a formation that protected the Troubadours in the middle back, with the swordsmen and lancers in the front, the mages flanking them, and the archers flanking the Troubadours. He waited a few seconds to give Calderon's men time to process his words, but then spurred Guinevere onward.

Their mission had now officially begun.

Everett's men (open)

Lawrence Everett: Lord
    Vincent the Hawk: Dark Knight
    Paladin x3
    Dark Knight x2
    Bow Knight x2
    Valkyrie x1
    Troubadour x2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.