2D Or Not 2D

Discussion in 'Zelda Discussion' started by Hyrulian Hero, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Hyrulian Hero

Hyrulian Hero Member new

So recently, I was considering Zelda WiiU and contemplating the classic call back to LoZ with Link looking out over Hyrule from a mountain top. It got me to thinking, I love the 2D games. The feel of these nostalgic games accomplishes something that the 3D games can't, just as the 3D games exhibit qualities that aren't possible in the 2D games. Then came the realization: we've seen our last 2D Zelda game. The Minish Cap, preceded closely by Four Swords Adventures, is likely the last 2D Zelda game that we'll see (Tingle games notwithstanding).

Sure, there'll be tweaked iterations of the classics and virtual console re-releases, but as far as new 2D Zelda games go, we probably aren't getting any more. This saddens me but Zelda will continue to evolve with gaming culture and grow from its humble roots. Still, the 2D games are works of art just as much as are the 3D games and ought to be looked to for inspiration as we continue to move on.

Here, then, is the question: what things should we carry over from the 2D games as that world comes to a close? I've made a list of 10 things that I want to see make it into the 3D games. Please follow up with the things you want to see in future 3D games. You know, if you want.

Honorable Mention: The Shovel
    - This one doesn't count for two reasons: it was in Phantom Hourglass which is 3D-esque, and Skyward Sword had the Digging Mitts. The mitts were okay for Skyward Sword due to its more whimsical and less serious nature, but imagine Link using a shovel in Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess. It just seems more visceral, doesn't it? Need some quick cash and a rare chance to obtain a silver rupee? Shovel. Followed a treasure map to the X? Shovel. Fishing and need a worm? Yeah.

10: Magnetic Gloves
    - Give it a chance to strip a sword from an enemy. Use it to push or pull metal items (attack, puzzles, etc.). Make them more awesome than the iron boots by letting Link traverse walls and ceilings with his grubby mitts. Plus, they'd look stylin'.

9: Music from The Adventure of Link
    - The Adventure of Link. Skeletal role playing system, less-fun side-scrolling platform gameplay, annoyingly unbalanced difficulty. But trapped behind the less-favorable aspects of the game is a soundtrack unique amongst Zelda games. Being one of the few games that Koji Kondo did not score, many tracks, though not quite as inspired as Kondo's work, have a unique flair. The Adventure of Link could certainly use some love these days. I would love to hear just a few cues from this game make it into future titles.

8: Subrosia
    - Many...no wait...two three fo...most?...yeah, most Zelda games have a sense of duality (second quest, alternate world) and Oracle of Seasons is no exception. Subrosia, however, is no second quest or even alternate world. Subrosia was a totally different environment connected to the world in which Link's adventure takes place! Subrosia is to Hyrule what Solstheim is to Skyrim. And like Solstheim, Subrosia is very different in climate, temper, and feel from Hyrule. It also takes place on an island overcome by volcanoes and inhabited by tiny sentients. Huh, Skyrim's starting to look like a copy cat. But I digest.

It's the idea I'm talking about, it doesn't have to actually be Subrosia. The important thing is that there's an entirely separate and foreign world to explore beneath the overworld. This expanded the game without feeling like excuse add hours to the play time. Subrosia also allowed for a veritable "fast travel" or "warp" without resorting to a system of magic to get you from place to place.

7: Seasons: Not that Link should be able to control the seasons again but how about a natural progression? Even something as simple as a switch in the menu (not that I'm suggesting that) would awesome! Remember how the seasons changed in the fishing pond in Twilight Princess? It looked beautiful! And distinct seasons add an ambiance unobtainable by games without. The day and night cycle that started with Ocarina of Time was a good place to begin, now it's time to drop rays, leaves, snow, and cherry blossoms!

6: Moosh, Ricky, and Dimitri
    - Another wonderful innovation for the 2D games also occurred in Oracle of Seasons. Added as more of puzzle aspects than vehicles mobility are the trio of independently exclusive companions! Now, I would love traverse greater Hyrule atop a cripplingly cute blue, flying bear but to avoid stealing the spotlight from Epona, these should probably be mostly useful for accessing several areas the overworld or as part of certain puzzles. Instead of being two-dimensional characters however, (ha ha) as Epona has been pigeon holed, each can communicate with Link and has unique talents, story, and options.

5: Races: Piratians, Picori
    - I decided to group these two together as we could on and on about what races to bring into next generation. Alright, no more Oracle things for bit! It's just that the games are so rich in style. Alright, one more thing from the Oracle games. For now. This time, it's the Piratians!

These skeletal scalawags sail a tunneling ship from place to place and are apparently quite friendly to other races, making them excellent candidates for a 3D makeover. Just like several of the previous ideas, it's doubtful that Nintendo itself will bring these things to 3D as they were designed by Capcom but it doesn't hurt to hope. Anyway, picture 3D rendered Piratians either as BA undead in a Twilight Princess-ish "realistic" setting or as a crew of roving jolly specters in the realm of Wind Waker. And the other.....

The Picori. This one should obvious. Of anything that Capcom created, these cute little creatures probably have the best chance of making an appearance in a 3D game. Still not a great chance but the best chance, I think. Even with no interaction at all, it would be the coolest thing just to catch a glimpse of one of these tiny altruists at work. But only as a child, of course.

4: Monsters: Octoroks, River Zoras/Zolas, and Stalfos That Throw Bones
    - That's a mouthful but I couldn't pin it down to just one monster. Remember how annoying stalfos were in previous games? You had to trap them into a corner or use ranged attacks to kill them because every time you swung your sword, the dang things would jump out of the dang way and chuck a dang rib at you! Now I don't have a problem with the way stalfos fight in the 3D games, it's a great design, but my hearts cry out to see a bone flung from time to time.

In the early days of Zelda, Link but one thing to fear in the deep blue of Hyrule's waterways. That one thing was the Zola, later known (or corrected) as the River Zora. This beasty was a well-known pest to Link and shot fireballs from its mouth to assault the young boy. What became of this creature of legend? None remain know...

Is an Octorok a purple squid who sits stationary in the water, waiting for hapless adventurers to wander by? Not in the 2D games! It use to be a land-dwelling octopus (or a skull in Link's Awakening) that hunted you down mercilessly and flattened you beneath a barrage of stones! That, I want to fight in three dimensions! To add more diversity, some Octoroks in Link's Awakening had wings.

3: The Four Sword
    - This is a tall order but also likely to happen eventually. Four player split-screen 3D Hyrulian adventuring action! I've always been a fan of The Four Swords Adventures multiplayer so this would be awesome to see move into 3D. It would even be cool to do it in the style of The Four Swords Adventures where each level is played individually connected by an overworld. It split the game into manageable portions so that four people could easily pick up the game for half an hour and put it down at defined stopping points. Although I wouldn't be opposed to Four Swords style game via Zelda Maker when that's released...

2: Vaati
    - This one is probably the most likely of any on this list to see a 3D rendering. Vaati has the potential to be a villain even more beloved than Girahim and has a fine pedigree in Zelda lore. His inclusion could open the door to all sorts of story and content: the Minish, the Four Sword, the Wind Tribe...come to think of it, why wasn't he in Hyrule Warriors? He perfectly fits the theme, it would have been awesome! And hey, if he makes it into a 3D console game, we could see him in the next Smash Bros!

The darkness and arrogance he gives off make us want to defeat him and after learning what he did to Ezlo, you really just want to kick his butt! As long as Ganon doesn't end up being his master or something, Vaati needs to go 3D.

1: Seed Rings
    - Here it is, number one, and yes, it's from the Oracle games. I apologize. Moving on, Seed Rings are one of the more perfect items in any Zelda game. They grow on trees. You had to plant a seed to grow a tree which would eventually give you a chance of producing a ring. Then you had to take the ring to a jeweler to have it appraised. There was a series of events that led up to being able to use a ring.

Then there was the vast number of ring effects. Some helped you to find more rupees or take less damage. Some even transformed you! Take a second to visualize the First Gen Ring on a 3D game. The uses for these rings in a 3D installation would be endless and fun!

The rings also gave us a way to personalize Link to our play style without adding a warmed-over RPG system to the mix. Absolute genius. These rings also gave us a sense of accomplishment and rewarded the player with unique benefits when they did something extra. I suppose, when it comes right down to it, all I really want is the Expert's Ring so I can go Little Mac on Ganondorf.

Fan Boy Want: Brown Hair
    - One last thing, I would love to see a game where Link again has brown hair. These sort of things help set different Links apart from one another. Plus it's retro.