The Lost Labryinth

Discussion in 'Northern Hyrule' started by Sage of Mirrors, Aug 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sage of Mirrors

Sage of Mirrors New Member new

The sun was high in the sky when Hekali first laid her eyes on the dense forest known as the Lost Woods. As she soared ever closer, the stories she’d heard echoed around her head- stories of people becoming lost amongst the trees, never to be seen or heard from again. The prospect of getting lost frightened Hekali greatly. However, her curiosity was stronger than her fear.

Carefully, Hekali touched the ground about 20 feet from the tree line. She observed with astonishment how quickly the plains behind her morphed into the forest ahead.

I will have to study that when I’m finished in there, the Rito thought. Looking up to the clouds for a moment, she drew a deep breath and began to approach the Lost Woods.

Amazing, thought Hekali as she intensely studied the trees. Much taller and leafier than the palms on Dragon Roost! She reached into her delivery bag and fished out her quill, ink and paper. Looking over a rather short tree one more time, she began to note her observations- the texture of the bark, the design of the leaves, the plants around it…

Suddenly, a great green blob emerged from a crack in the ground near Hekali. She jumped in surprise (nearly dropping her bottle of ink), but once she recovered, she only cocked her head to the side as she stared at the pile of goop.

Almost in slow motion, the blob pulled itself upwards. It stretched itself out and revealed two eyes and a mouth. Some sort of unintelligible chatter originated from the creature.

“Incredible!” Hekali voiced, as if talking to the gooey organism. “A gelatinous creature that can change its shape at will!”

As if in response, the blob looked at her. Then it jumped forward a bit. Hekali put a little distance between herself and the creature before wetting the tip of her quill and drawing a rough diagram of it.

“How intriguing!” she said. As she was putting away her instruments and preparing to outrun this monster, her hand struck an item that she had been meaning to test out. “The Hero’s Charm,” Hekali mumbled to herself as she ran her hand across its golden surface. “Pretty creepy looking, but if it does what that merchant said it does…” Hesitantly, she put the grotesque object to her face. It took some effort to work it around her beak, but once Hekali stared at the creature approaching her, she knew it was well worth it.

Several boxes had appeared in her line of sight. One read Green chu-chu, which Hekali assumed was the name of this organism. Another said angry – most likely the emotional state of the monster. Yet another box held only a green line.

“It works!” Hekali exclaimed in delight. “It works! Astounding!”

Her exhilaration was short lived, however, as more boxes began to fill her vision- and more chu-chus converged on her location. Two new names had popped up- Red chu-chu and Blue chu-chu.

“Uh…” the woman thought of what to do as she was surrounded by creatures of goop. Then she remembered that she could fly. “Well, I’d like to stick around fellas, but I’ve got to fly!” She abruptly kicked off from the ground and spread her wings. The chu-chus chattered amongst themselves almost angrily as they watched her glide away.

“That could have gotten hairy,” Hekali said with a smile as she looked back at the monsters. “I need to get a sample of one of those things someday!”

Crack!

Before she could react, Hekali struck a low tree branch. With a loud crash, she toppled to the forest floor, still wearing her Hero’s Charm.

“Ow! …my, what beautiful stars~!” she rambled in a daze.
  2. HiganRetour

HiganRetour New Member new

Wherever Rayna might be at present, Hat was far off. That was quite alright; they'd probably meet up back in town later, if not before that. In the meantime, no twangling, no lyutna. Peace and solidarity of mind. And if some staratsya ended in profit, he wouldn't have to split it with her.

So, his path carved before him. Every step made with utmost confidence. He'd be back at town in no time. Long before Hat, of course. She had no sense of direction.

Surprise came unbidden, and was quickly restrained, as something came crashed to the ground near him. At first he was shocked at the appearance, but realized the figure bumbling on the ground must be one of the bird people with some sort of mask on.

Were she more dazed, he might lightened her of any obvious tsennosti, but instead he could help what must be a distressed damsel. He ran up to her, relieved her of the mask, and putting an arm around her, to help her up. "Are you hurt, my tsypka?" he asked, his voice all softness and concern, "That seemed all too rough a fall!"
  3. UnnamedDude

UnnamedDude Lighting up the Fire in the Night vet

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    Naomi circled, feeling the wind run through her feathers and caress her face. She was floating above a lush green cover of trees, scanning the area and taking in the sights. She had gone a long ways from Dragon Roost Island, but the view from flying was great, and that kept her going. This place had no peaks, though... as she started to turn once more to leave and set out for higher elevations, she heard a loud crack.

She circled again, looking for a good landing spot. Finding out, she touched down, and she set out towards the area she heard the crash from. She was not expecting to find what she did.

What she found was a Hylian with jet-black hair with an arm wrapped around a dark-haired Rito woman, murmuring sweet nothings to her. Naomi brushed a silver strand of hair from her face as she emerged, calling conspiratorially, "I'm not interrupting anything, am I?"
  4. Sage of Mirrors

"Huh?" Hekali mumbled, trying to refocus her eyes. "What? No, I think I'm five... I mean, file!" She shook her head. "Fine! I think I'm fine!" She stepped away from Rayna. "But thank you for your concern." She glared at Naomi. "No," Hekali affirmed. "I barely know this man." Her curiosity once again gained control. "Who are you two? And what brings you here to these woods?" She put her hand to her forehead and rubbed it. "And what's a tsypka?"
  5. HiganRetour

Rayna sensed the other tsypka before he heard her. He stood, moved cleanly out of the way, allowing the first to right herself. She still sounded a bit gremel after her little bout with the branch, but it would would be, no, not very gentlemanly at all to intrude if she so insisted.

"Oh, no no no, I merely came to the tsypka's aid -- which, for your information, refers to your race. I am here because I wander, but oh, not all that wander are lost."

Rayna bowed deeply, perfectly. His torso made a right angle with his legs. "I am known as Rayna Reinhardt. Be well assured, it is an extreme pleasure to be acquainted." Bowed as he was, neither saw just how devious his grin was. The first was either very bothered by her crash, or a ditz. If the latter, his job should be beyond easy.
  6. Tsubori

Tsubori Hunter of Beacon vet

Terra wandered around, for the most part aimlessly. "These friggin' trees are aptly named..." She was following instructions from her father's notes, as she had always done, but this time it was all so vague... 

It hadn't taken Terra long to realize this forest was more than meets the eye when she took thirty paces in one direction, then turned a perfect one eighty turn, taking the same paces. The trees were different, as if direction held no bearing here. 

"Lookin' for the ruins?" She spun around, seeing a short figure in a camouflaged cloak. He also wore an all night mask though, so his face was well hidden. 

"And if I am, kid?" She asked, subtly reaching into her compaction pouch for her pick. 

"Then you should just follow what the old guy did then." He pointed at a tree, showing her the small etch mark about four feet up the base. 

Terra walked closer, feeling the mark, then turned to the boy again. "Old man...? You've seen my father then?!" He merely shrugged, waving his hand and suddenly warping away, with what Terra knew to be Farore's wind. "Damn kid... At least he pointed me the right way..." 

Terra looked on the trees around the notched one, seeing a similar one a few meters away. Did her father leave these? Eventually, her path led her to a group of three people, two Rito girls and a bowing Hylian. Most often, she'd try to go around, but she couldn't afford to risk losing the trail.

She walked up to the group, locating the next notched tree and mentally noting it. "What're you three doing here? You looking for the ruins too?" She asked, hand on her hip curiously. People weren't known for leaving these woods too often, so just with who she'd seen so far, it was far more than expected.
  7. UnnamedDude

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    "You can stop brown-nosing. I really don't care what you choose to do," she said to the bowing man, and continued to her fellow Rito, "or who you choose to do it with." That done though, she giggled slightly and introduced herself. "I'm Naomi. I'm just here because I heard the crash and thought it sounded like a good time," she said, partly to the couple before her, partly to the newcomer.

She leaned against a tree, hands behind her head. "Although... ruins do sound like fun. Where are they?" It wasn't a mountain that needed scaling, but it would do.
  8. Sage of Mirrors

Hekali looked at Rayna. "...right."

What a strange man. I'd better be wary of him.

Then she glared at Naomi, but only for a moment.

"My name is Hekali. It's a pleasure to meet you three." She curtsied. "Ah, ruins! How exciting! The remnants of an age long gone by. Simply fascinating!" She put her hands on her hips. "Forgive me for prying, but might I join in on the adventure?"

She then noticed that Rayna was still holding her Hero's Charm. "Sir - er, Rayna - may I please have my mask back?"
  9. HiganRetour

"Oh, this? Of course of course!" He returned her little treasure with a clean thrust of his wrist.

"And if you three ladies intend to journey into ruins, always dangerous, why, it would be criminal not to extend my hand in aid."

He walked toward the newcomer. The tsypkas were by no means offputting or unattractive, but the real thing was indeed well-named. He took her hand and kissed it lightly. "I do not know if you overheard, but my name is Rayna Reinhardt. It is an extreme pleasure to meet you. Might I be allowed yours?"
  10. Tsubori

Terra scoffed when Rayna kissed her hand. Oh boy. One of THESE guys... Terra let him finish his romantic introduction that she assumed he hoped would sweep her off her feet. She'd certainly hoped she was disappointing him.

No girly giggle or embarrassed blush was shown, and she gave her answer calmly and as straight as usual. "It's Terralyn Jiana, but everyone calls me Terra. You might have read a research paper I wrote on map magic. Or maybe not, whatever."

She looked over each person briefly. Rito may be useful... If she knew the way designers of ancient temples thought, which she believed she did, most added some sort of puzzles to their places, and few account for such powerful dungeon bypasses as flight.

The guy though... Something sat weird with her about him, but he certainly looked like the type of person that'd be quick on his feet or have some sort of surprise. And if all else fails, he can act as cannon fodder.

"Alright. You can come with me if you want, but I didn't bring any waivers. You lose an arm or something, that's on you. Everyone good with that?" She took a few steps forward, grazing by Rayna to look at the spot she'd mentally marked. There it was... The cut was there, just like before, so she continued. "This way, and everyone stick close to me. They're the lost woods for a reason."
  11. Sage of Mirrors

"Thanks..." Hekali looked the charm over twice before returning it to her delivery bag. She observed the group for a moment, then she grabbed her materials and began to write:

I have encountered three individuals while traversing the Lost Woods - two Hylians by the names of Terra(F) and Rayna(M), and a fellow Rito by the name of Naomi(F). Terra has shared with us information pertaining to ancient ruins, which obviously require investigation. Lord Valoo only knows what secrets these abandoned structures hold!

Note: Look out for more "Chu-chus" and get a sample if possible!!

The Rito filled the rest of the entry with an attempt at drawing her three new companions - Naomi in flight, Terra standing next to a tree and Rayna with an outstretched hand holding her Hero's Charm. They ended up looking more like diagrams than people.

Hekali carefully returned the paper to her bag and got a fresh sheet. She promptly found a large mushroom and began to study it intensely.
  12. UnnamedDude

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    "Pfft." Naomi blew off the warning. "It's a bunch of rock structures built by dead guys. How bad could it be?" She walked on largely without worry, reasoning that traps would probably have faded in their usefulness in the many, many years since construction to the present day.

Of course, it was entirely possible that these ruins would have been worn and broken down, allowing in dangerous creatures or cutting off important routes. The Rito sighed softly. As though the Lost Woods would swallow them or something. They were bird people. So long as it wasn't nighttime they would be fine. Scary things could happen at night in the woods.

She then addressed Rayna lightly. "So then, mister heart-breaker, can we count on you if we run into any trouble?"
  13. HiganRetour

"Heart-breaker? Why ever would you label me so, tsypka?" He gingerly grabbed her beak between his thumb and fore-finger, shook it just so. "What a strannyy accusation. I have just been a concerned and dutiful man, as I should be. And fear not, I've fought off my share of monsters. Sword or bow, you'll find me most krasiv. Watch."

His grin splitting his face at this point, he drew his sword, a light hiss coming from the notches. He stepped well away from the ladies. Five slashes, each creating a distinct note, and a sixth note for sheathing the sword. He spread his right arm. A statue formed into being right next to him, in the image of Rayna himself, arm outstretched and all. "Tell me. I know your people sleep in beds more oft than not, but do you ever perch? If the idea appeals, you may use my stone arm for that purpose, fear not."

These three ladies may not be melting at his touch, but few did, in all truth. And that was quite alright. Getting khvost was fine and dandy, but he only needed a way in to get a gauge of a person, know where their valuables were and figure out the best means by which to separate them from their owner.

"Oh, and I recall you looking most intently at trees yonder, Terra. Is it that our path, hmmm?"
  14. Tsubori

Terra felt the imprints in the tree next to her. "Yeah... These trees are all marked. They lead to the ruins. Because those who don`t know where they`re going in the lost woods don`t leave." She then turned towards Naomi. "Don`t underestimate the ruins, or else you`re going to go in and get impaled by the first pointy stick to get flung your way."

She looked for the trail of trees, feeling along the slice. Could it really have been her father who did this? She quickly noted in her mind what she'd seen of Rayna's ability. "Hmm... I suppose you may do." Without so much as a statement to get the other's attention, she started walking towards the next tree, following her path as before.
  15. Sage of Mirrors

After scrutinizing the gigantic mushroom, Hekali returned her materials to her bag and fished out her Hero's Charm once more. She studied it closely, admiring its beauty and grotesque designs.

I wonder who made this mask.

Remembering the incident with the Chu-chus, Hekali slid the Charm onto her face and peered at her new-found companions through it. Sure enough, they all had health bars and names.

But the Rito woman was surprised to see a plethora of other boxes around the individuals.

Elegy of Emptiness... Hekali read silently. Ice Enchantment, Needle Storm, Longsword: Sword of Songs... Is this... what everyone knows and carries? She turned away and smiled. Fascinating! Now I know this was a good buy!

Hekali removed the charm, placed it into her bag and turned back to the group. "Shall we g - Hey! Terra! Wait for us!" She ran after Terra.
  16. UnnamedDude

3DS Friend Code:
    2981-6385-7964
    Naomi giggled. "My, you're reliable," she murmured to the group's lone male. "I'll keep that in mind some time." That was not actually likely, given her temperament, but the faux sincerity she put behind it almost made it seem so. She kept up behind Terra as Hekali put on some odd mask and looked around.

"They are ruins for a reason. I figure not all the traps can be working, right? And these things called wings are a great help," she said lightly. She just hoped it would be worth it. Maybe there would be a nice tower or something... though that seemed rather implausible, as she had flown over it and seen no such thing. Still. Adventure awaited, right?

She put a hand to her beak. "Marked...? By who, then? Also, how do you even know these go where you say?"
  17. HiganRetour

Rayna was indeed pleased that Naomi seemed less distant than the other two. However, should the others warm up to him, he'd be overjoyed.

"The marks themselves are rather neyasnyy. She knows who made them, and likely seeks the marker. Is it a friend of yours, Terra, who went on ahead? Or might the matter be more, oh, urgent?"
  18. Tsubori

Terra didn’t stop walking forward, but still replied to Naomi as she followed the trail her father had left. “You’d think that. Traps in old ruins tend to be the things that stay intact the best.” She stopped, sliding her pant leg up to show her calf. A large scar that looked more torn than sliced went horizontally a few inches. “A blade trap in a set of ruins I investigated that were approximately four hundred and sixty eight years old. Advanced mechanisms activated by special pressure plates. Things can stand the test of time if the right person makes them.”

She slid her pant leg back down, though still in a crouching position. Rayna then addressed the marks. “No, it’s not urgent. I know who made the marks and I trust him. That should be enough, right?” It was also at that point that she saw the Hero’s Charm Hekali had slipped back into her bag. “Woah woah woah, that’s a Hero’s charm… Where’d you get that?”
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.