Din's Burst - Possibly wrong wording?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Tsubori, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Tsubori

Tsubori Hunter of Beacon vet

In the description for Din's Burst it says that the explosion at the end is proportionate to the mass of the caster. This seems somewhat flawed to me, as one would think that a spell's power would rely itself to the person's magical power, or in this case, Wisdom. As an example, I have a young mage named Stjarnstill who's in fact a child Hylian, but has Wisdom 5. Now, let's also say that a... goron or something with Power 5, in other words, one BIG guy, saved enough rupees to get the spell. It seems rather flawed to me that this novice magic user can make an explosion likely several times bigger than Stjarnstill's. I don't really know how to solve the problem other than just changing the wording, but I figured I'd say something about it.
  2. Adaar

Adaar New Member reg

You do have a good point there. A spell based on wisdom should rely on the wisdom power of the individual, not their size. But, there could be some extra logic that the spell's creator didn't include in the description.

Anybody know who created the spell? Guy?
  3. Razgriz

Razgriz Leader of the Revolution reg

Maybe the creator meant that the size was roughly Hylian size, as opposed to the size of the caster. Although it would make far more sense to be dependant on the wisdom of the caster, so maybe roughly Hylian size if the caster has wisdom 2 (what I understand as the overall average for a regular person) and smaller if the caster's wisdom is lower or larger if the caster's wisdom is higher?

That's my two cents but there might be something going on about it that I don't know, or am forgetting something.
  4. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

I think perhaps they were meaning that the size of the explosion and power were two separate things. If you look at it that way, a small character, like a Kokiri that is high in wisdom may have a small explosion but its power could be more potent. Its the same as like, a bomb of equal actual size to an atomic bomb, and an atomic bomb. While their blasts may be of equal size, their power differ greatly. Does that make sense?
  5. Tsubori

Tsubori Hunter of Beacon vet

It does, yes. I just think that the bigger person shouldn't really get bonuses to a spell entirely based on size. I mean... That means that the kokiri wouldn't be able to hit multiple enemies with the blast, while the aforementioned Goron would be able to clear a room. Or better yet, the yeti. Imagine if the size was based on caster size and good ol' Yeto cast it.
  6. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

Well if you take an explosion that is small but very potent and then something thats as strong as a firecracker but larger, the small one is definitely going to do more damage and is going to effect a large area with its shockwave and expansion. All this is talking about is the initial explosion and size doesn't equal damage or even effective area. If you go back to the nuke analogy, if you have a large bomb that isn't very strong comparatively to the nuke, its going to be a bigger blast at first but its going to fizzle out much quicker than the nuke would. The nuke, while smaller, is going to be a mall blast at first but its shockwave and actual area of effect are much larger than the other bomb. I hope I make sense.
  7. Eevachu

Eevachu Admin admin

Well, Toko, the problem is.

If it's a W5 Yeti, and a W5 Korok, for example.

They will do the exact same amount of force and damage. The Yeti's will be several times larger, hitting a far larger radius, but it will do the same amount of damage as the Koroks. Meaning, the Yeti's is very much better. The only way your example works is if you're saying that the smaller ones do more damage, but in the example I gave, that is not the case.

For a change, I suggest we either:

a) Give it a set size, regardless of race.

b) Make it do more damage the smaller it is.

c) Make it do more damage the smaller it is, and allow the user to, upon picking the treasure, decide a size for the explosion between a range. They can choose between making it smaller for more damage but less range, larger for more range but less damage, or just average for a decent amount of range and damage, but not a lot of either one.

Personally, I do not recommend B. We should do A or C, unless anyone has alternate suggestions.
  8. Bitoko

Bitoko The Admiral vet

Well you are assuming that a Yeti and a Korok would be equally as powerful at W5, which is assuming a Goron and a Kokiri would have the same strength at P5, which obviously isn't the case. Its all depending on the race that is using it, so in my opinion my explanation still works.
  9. Guy

Guy Admin admin

I was the one who originally described the effects of Din's Burst as it appears on HC. As such, allow me to explain the reason is explained the way it is. In a word, that reason is Minish. Something the size of a hamster should not be able to so easily create an explosion the size of a Hylian, needless to say. Another reason was for treasures which could potentially change the user's size dramatically.

Furthermore, I don't really see what the big deal is about a Korok's burst being a bit smaller than a Goron's burst. Like most of HC's treasures, there is intentionally no benchmark for how much damage the attack actually does outside of whatever the player dreams up. Therefore, I assume that in the context of a role play, a 3/3/3 Goron's burst would deal similar damage to a 3/3/3 Korok's burst, unless perhaps the spells were cast side-by-side on similar foes (and the system of HC in general, or at least how I designed it, was purposely not so specific about such minute differences).

Furthermore, almost everything a Korok physically does will be smaller than a Goron anyway. Smaller weapons, smaller reach, smaller steps. Even though it isn't stated directly, many other spells which conjure physical effects have at least a slight dependency on the user's size. For example, some spells surround the user's body; a spell which summons a weapon obviously couldne be used to bring forth a sword several times the user's body mass (as would be necessary for a Minish to equip a Kokiri).

All that aside, given the speed and precision a spell like this can have renders slight fluctuations in its size moot (at least in terms of role-play). If an explosion of flames goes off in your face, it matters little if the radius of that explosion is 2' or 3'; it's a friggin' fireball in your face.

If it really makes anyone feel better, assume the explosion is "approximately equivalent" to the user's body mass. In truth, most of the "measurements" within the library (or at least in the treasures I added myself) are intended to be rough estimates. The nature of role-playing in this format makes such meticulous precision more of an annoyance than an aid, in my experience. Any further changes to something so abstract seems overly nitpicky, at least to me.
  10. Adaar

Adaar New Member reg

Well that sums it up :P

Oh, and hi Guy. :tpr: