The Morgue Swamp

Discussion in 'Northern Hyrule' started by kajemi2, Apr 6, 2017.

1. kajemi2

kajemi2 New Member new

It had been a long flight, and not even a particularly enjoyable one. It had rained for nearly half the trip, she had almost gotten struck by lightning twice and there was hardly a single spot to rest between Windfall Island and the shores of Hyrule. But Seraphine had made it, and she could finally see the large and surprisingly drabby mainland of Hyrule.

For some reason, she'd been expecting a lush green field and a gigantic castle waiting for her right at the shore, though those sort of things must have been further inland. It was a curious sight, though. Seraphine had never seen and mass of land so wide, with so many different kinds of trees. The view gave her another burst of strength, and she flew ahead even faster, finally soaring past the coast and over some land.

She stared straight down at all the different, all the new sights below her, her mouth agape with wonder and excitement as she took everything in. Of course, this mesmerized state she fell into also had her neglecting what was right in front of her as she flew, so by the time she looked up and saw the figure on the broomstick it was too late.

"HOLD U-" she screeched out before she rammed head-first into the unknown figure with a resounding "bonk". It was, of course, difficult to keep flying after a hard and sudden impact on her skull against whoever she'd just run into, so Seraphine fell to her death. ...Well, not really, she landed in a tree and had a bit of a bumpy ride down, and though she was scratched up and bruised a fair bit, she was alright. After her head stopped spinning, she stood back up with a groan, and looked around to see what had happened to the person she'd rammed.
  2. Xeronoia

Xeronoia Member reg

If anyone was to be declared at fault for the collision, the blame would very unarguably rest with Demerara. The Witch's Apprentice had her nose buried in a book on magic while she flew, leaning forward enough to prop an elbow on the wooden handle of her broom. Practically lounging atop a magical means of transportation hurtling through the sky at thirty miles an hour, only rarely bothering to glance at where she was heading, was definitively negligent.

The fact that she had been up for a solid eighteen hours and was sucking down coffee candies just to stay awake didn't help her case. She was so focused on what she was reading in fact, that she didn't register the too late to help shout of warning at all. A blinding pain that felt like her head had been split open took all of her focus away, and it was only by luck that her broom spiraled down at a fairly safe descent instead of nosediving right into the ground.

That fairly safe descent still made for an unpleasant landing, Demerara's arms and legs tangled up in her broom and satchel in a heap. To add injury to injury, as she managed to right herself and try to get her bearings, the book she had been reading fell down atop her noggin with a dull thunk. Clutching at the large lump swelling up on the side of her forehead, the would-be witch let out a stream of pained and barely coherent curses.
  3. kajemi2

kajemi2 New Member new

Seraphine watched with slight amusement as the witch she'd knocked into spiraled downwards after her, though she winced at seeing the rough landing. "Ah crap," she thought, making her way over towards where the lady had landed. "Did I just kill someone already? I didn't think it would happen that quickly..." Upon hearing the string of curses and swears from her, though, Seraphine breathed a sigh of relief. Dead was one thing; hurt and seriously pissed off was another.

She approached the witch with some caution, not entirely sure how she might react after that whole thing a few moments earlier where they almost killed each other. Sure, it was an accident, but accidents were just as important as planned events. That was what her parents had said regarding her birth, at least. Seraphine wasn't sure if it also applied to head-on collisions dozens of meters above the ground.

"Maybe she hasn't noticed me yet," she thought, "I can probably just run awa-" As she was thinking, she stepped on a stick, and it made an unmistakably loud "SNAP" as it broke. There was no way the witch wouldn't have noticed her now. "Goddesses dammit," Seraphine muttered, reluctantly turning and walking over to the woman until she was standing just a few feet from her.

Her hands folded behind her back, Seraphine said, "So uh, hi, sorry I crashed into you, uh, there. I'm usually way better at that whole flying thing, I swear." She made an awkward and sheepish grin after her last remark, though quickly faded it away and cleared her throat, continuing with a curt, "So, you're fine, right?"
  4. Xeronoia

Xeronoia Member reg

Demerara actually didn't notice anything aside from her aching head and current ire towards her immediate surroundings for simply existing. That is, until the loud snap of wood breaking roared through her ears like cannon fire. Wincing and moving her hands from her head to her ears, she glared at the source as it walked up to her.

Her intention to yell at the Rito for making such a loud ruckus when she had a splitting headache faltered as the other woman's words registered. Tilting her head slightly and gingerly patting at the bump on her head, she screwed her face up in concentrated thought. Alas she couldn't actually recall the collision itself, only making her head throb a bit more from the attempt.

So instead she pushed herself up onto wobbling legs, leaning on her broom for support until her head cleared and the world around her stopped flipping about. "Oh yeah I'm absolutely fine, this giant lump is normal!" Demerara hissed out, her tone low and dripping with blatant displeasure and sarcasm as she indicated the aforementioned injury. After a brief pause to pat at her head again, she continued. "Did you even learn how to fly at all? How hard is it to pay attention to whats in front of you?"

The hypocrisy of the statement was, as irritated and distracted by her headache as she was, lost on her entirely.
  5. kajemi2

kajemi2 New Member new

"Well, excuse me, then," Seraphine retorted, her hands going from a shy position behind her back to a confident, crossed position over her chest. She had honestly just been expecting an "I'm fine" and a "My bad" from the witch, but apparently common courtesy went out the window when dealing with whoever this was.

"Nooo," Seraphine dramatically stated, throwing her arms out so her wings shown. "I never learned how to fly. It's not as if it's what I've been doing since I was less than ten years old or anything!" She puffed out her chest and placed her hands on her hips, leaning in towards the slightly taller witch, continuing in an exasperated voice, "I didn't fly all the way here from Dragon Roost, I was just falling with style!"

After letting her beak flap on for a bit out of annoyance, Seraphine felt her anger simmering down, and put her hand up to her forehead and sighed. "Okay, fine, sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going," she admitted, a bit resentfully. She folded her arms and averted eye contact as she spoke, and she could feel herself growing hot. "Man, this is not how I hoped this would kick off," she thought to herself.

Turning her attention back over to the witch, she glanced at the woman's broom with a bit of curiosity. "It's not broken, is it?" she inquired, hoping that it was fine. The place they had landed in felt shifty at best, and Seraphine would've felt bad abandoning the other lady here without any way of getting out easily.
  6. Xeronoia

Xeronoia Member reg

Demerara took the return fire of sass from the Rito woman without batting an eye, the exasperated sarcasm seeming more familiar than insulting. Focused on poking at her tender forehead and trying to figure out if she could just 'sleep it off' so to speak, she paused with her finger against the bump on her head as the person she had collided with actually apologized. Finding that to be so unfamiliar as to throw her off, she just stood there for a moment blinking in surprise.

Her anger was forgotten completely when the scruffy-looking girl went on to ask about her broom, and with a start she looked it over as intently as she could manage in her current state. Straightening out a few bent bristles was all that was needed, though there was a small but thankfully shallow crack along the handle. A splitting headache she could deal with, but a broken broom in the middle of nowhere would be a disaster.

"I'm not a broom maker or an expert but, it looks fine to me. The ol' hag makes them really sturdy." The Witch's Apprentice answered the question with a relieved sigh. Regarding the stranger she had literally run into for a moment, she gave her best attempt at a casually dismissive wave of her hand. The flinch that accompanied it ruined the effect she was going for, but she continued regardless. "Probably shouldn't fly until my head feels better, but nothing to worry about otherwise."

Pausing for a moment, another thought occurred to her. Examining the other girl more thoroughly, and their middle-of-nowhere-and-kind-of-spooky surroundings, she added: "What about you? Being out here all by yourself seems pretty dangerous, especially if you just made a huge trip all the way from dragon roost."

The prospect of someone needing help actually helped to put her mind off her throbbing head. The Gerudo had no idea what brought the Rito to a place like this, but she really wasn't keen on the idea of just leaving them to camp out here alone and fend for themselves. Not if she could reasonably help them out anyways.
  7. kajemi2

kajemi2 New Member new

Seraphine was relieved to hear that she hadn't just destroyed a possibly very expensive and valuable treasure, though was a little embarrassed to spot a crack along its handle that likely hadn't been there before. She hoped it went unnoticed by the witch, though somewhat doubted that it had managed to evade her sight while she'd been thoroughly looking the broom over for any damage.

On a separate note, the witch's sudden change in demeanor came as a pleasant surprise to Seraphine: she hadn't been expecting her half-sincere apology to work that well, and the Gerudo seemed like a completely different person now. Regarding the question she'd been asked, she replied, "Well, I've been meaning to get off that island for awhile now anyways. Once you've explored every nook and cranny of someplace, you kinda get bored."

Taking another look at the area around them, Seraphine asked, "So where exactly is 'here'?" The place seemed rather unsettling, to say the least. It seemed like a... What was the word? Swarm? Swamp! It seemed like a swamp, based on the descriptions she'd heard of them. Of course, this was the first time she'd seen one for herself, and she hadn't been expecting the place to look so utterly offputting.
  8. Xeronoia

Xeronoia Member reg

Demerara was a bit surprised at the... Not really much of a reason at all, that the Rito girl had for being in a place like this all by herself. Even worse to her, was that apparently they didn't even know where they were. Of course, she didn't precisely know either, but that was mostly because this was just on the way to her errand and not where she actually needed to be.

Rubbing at her head as a different sort of headache set in, she thought about the question for a moment. She knew she was in a swamp, that much was obvious, and that she was in Northern Hyrule. Specifically the 'south east' area, or in other words kind of the middle and off to the side.

Unfortunately recognizing precisely where they were, was a little difficult thanks to the fact that she didn't really pay much attention to her routes. Between her almost literal constant studying and the fact that she could more or less just fly directly where she needed to go in a straight line, she didn't feel like it was as important as on foot. The headache didn't help either, but it would have helped it she payed more attention.

"Here?" She repeated in an attempt to buy herself some time, a look of concentration on her face. After a few more moments her face lit up in recognition, clapping her hands together and wincing slightly at the sharp sound it made. "Ow, bad idea to clap." She muttered to herself before continuing. "This is Moruge Swamp, I think. If you came from Windfall, its the closest part of the mainland to it."

There was something else about Moruge Swamp, but the fuzzy-foggy feeling in her head made it difficult to recall right now. Whatever it was seemed important, nagging at the back of her mind, but she just risked making her headache worse if she tried to remember too hard. Dismissing it for when she felt better, she turned her attention back to the Rito girl being out here all alone.

"So... You just, felt like exploring? By yourself?" Demerara's tone, though mostly one of concern, held a note of skeptical criticism to it as she continued. "Did you plan to just camp out in a tree somewhere? There's monsters all over out in the wild!"