Hero's Choice

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Guy, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Guy

Guy Admin admin

As I've stated before, I'm looking to add a feature to the new library called "Hero's Choice." In effect, this would be a somewhat short list of treasures which represent "staple" choices for treasures. So, I'm looking for recommendations for "choice" treasures for anyone who's willing to give them to me.

The intent of this is to provide a short list which provides a good starting ground for a new player/character who wants some good treasures, but doesn't want to sort through hundreds of them. As such, a choice treasure should meet some of the following standards:
    - Familiar to newcomers; almost every fan knows what a Boomerang or Bomb Bag does
    - Versatile; it could be useful to a range of different characters
    - Important to common character types; a blacksmith obviously should have the Crafting treasure
    - Easy-to-understand; certain complex treasures have their place, but a choice treasure should preferably have one solid use
    - Lacks prerequisites; since these treasures are "starting points," they shouldn't have any prerequisites
    - Not a Major treasure
    - Fun-to-use; everyone who plays a character who's extensively used a hookshot in combat knows it's awesome
    - Not a variant of another Choice treasure; there's about seven different variations on Fire Enchantment, and all of them are mentioned on Fire Enchantment's page, so... let's just list Fire Enchantment

At this point, I'd estimate that over 95% of the thread-based LoT has been added to the wiki-based LoT, so feel free to browse for suggestions on there instead of the old thread. (At this point, I'm mainly trying to refine it, fill in the gaps, and add new stuff (like the new races). BP and UD are proofreading everything, and fixing my countless typos.)

To see the current list of Hero's Choice treasures, click here.

Needless to say, I'd appreciate all the help I can get. :tpr: Give me every recommendation that comes to mind.
  2. WillowtheWhisp

WillowtheWhisp Admin admin

3DS Friend Code:
    3239-3393-6898
    Iron Boots. While not necessarily a staple of every Zelda game, its function is pretty apparent just from the name, even.

Roc's Feather also appears in a number of games, so I think it might be worthy.

If we're including consumables, Red Potion is also a good fit.

The Mirror Shield makes several appearances, and it's used pretty often both in and out of combat.
    Guy likes this.
  3. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Good suggestions. All four have been included.

(Red Potion also comes in a more expensive, useable-once-per-quest version now anyway.)
  4. Eternis

Eternis Page of Time reg

I'd suggest the "Jump", "Roc's Feather", and "Roc's Cape" as a single suggested "item" choice, as they're somewhat the three various aspects of this power. (Power, Courage, Wisdom, not in that order). While they're not all sourced from the game, I wouldn't want Wisdom- or Courage-based "link"s to have a disadvantage.
    Ice enchantment because while it isn't as common as Fire enchantment, duality is an expected "trope", and creating platforms in water is cool.
    Compaction Pouch, because it isn't just incredibly handy, but it also acts to explain the fact that Link seems to pull some items out of his "arse" in some games.
    Jabber Nut, because it REALLY simplifies RPing and is pretty cheap, as well.
    Spark, because again, it simplifies RPing and is pretty cheap. It's the kind of spell that LITERALLY EVERYONE who can cast spells would want to be able to cast.
    Bottomless Bottle, because again, simplification, and it has some pretty fun implications.
    More to come if I can be bothered researching further :P
    Also, I'm more than happy to explain each choice, but if you can't see why I've included these, then they probably shouldn't be included.
  5. Squishy

Squishy tl;dr this is all, still, toko's fault admin

I think maybe some of the basic elemental spells like fire, ice, blizzard and so on? Most people who want to make magic users like to go for at least one of those spells.

Also I'd suggest most of Link's well-known equipment? Stuff like the hookshot, hoverboots, various tunics, boomerang etc. Like you said, these are the treasures most people'll know if they know Zelda, plus they're really useful for all sorts of characters.

Lastly, how about adding some of the songs/music treasures? I'm thinking of Song of Healing, Song of Storms, Elegy of Emptiness, something like that.
  6. Razgriz

Razgriz Leader of the Revolution reg

There's Book of Mudora as an alternate for Jabber nut

Lens of truth or Cross

Bomb bag for power based characters

I always seem to see helmsplitter and/or shield breaker on power characters

Needle storm is cheap and effective for courage based ones

There's Squish's spell suggestions, but maybe make rejuvenation and/or Detox an alternate for the red potion
  7. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Compaction Pouch, Spark, and Bottomless Bottle have been added accordingly. I agree that those are all good recommendations.

Ice Enchantment breaks the suggestion of "no variants," but it's canon, different enough from Fire E., and popular, so I did as you suggested and added it anyway.

Roc's Feather was already on the list before you posted this. The page for Roc's Feather includes Roc's Cape as an augment. Jump is specifically mentioned on the Roc's Feather page as an alternate, and is merely a click away. So... yeah...

I'm not really sure how a Jabber Nut "simplifies RPing". It doesn't let you communicate with animals or something like that, and virtually every character knows Hyrulean anyway. As it stands, a Jabber Nut seems like it has almost no use, unless I'm missing something?

Magic Bolt was on there already. Its page mentions and links to the variants Fire, Ice, Holy Bolt, Shadow Ball, Wind, etc. Fire Enchantment and Ice Enchantment are both on there now, and they both link to Light Enchantment, Shadow Enchantment, Wind Enchantment, Shock Enchantment, etc. You're still right in that it could use more, though, so I've added Blizzard and Electric Aura for good measure. Electric Aura also links to Flame Aura, Gale Aura, and Ice Aura on its page.

Goron Tunic and Zora Tunic are good ideas; I've added those. Hookshot and Boomerang were already on the list I linked to in the first post. I do fear the Hover Boots are a little esoteric, though, mostly because they have questionable use within RPs... and may be a bit abstract if the user has never gotten to them in OoT.

Hm, that seems about right. I've added Song of Healing, Sonata of Soothing, and Song of Storms. I fear that the wording of Elegy of Emptiness could initially confuse a player who's never used the song in Majora's Mask, though...

Those are all good, yeah. Bomb Bag was already on the list, but I've added the others.

The Sonata of Soothing has been added, which is similar to Rejuvenation, but a bit simpler; the Sonata's page mentions Rejuvenation as an alternative, too.

I fear Detox would be a bit esoteric, though. It fills an important niche in that it works on poisons/diseases, but these occur relatively infrequently in canon, compared to direct damage or injuries. As such, average players may not create poisons/drugs or similar dangers often enough for Detox itself to see routine use.
  8. samusbot

samusbot Member new

Huh. This isn't exactly related, but I was looking through the Library and noticed that because of the effect of Cold Iron, you can't store it in an Adventure/Compaction Pouch.... Wait... Would would happen to the contents of the Pouch if you hit it with Cold Iron!?
  9. Guy

Guy Admin admin

Magic. I assume all the contents would just dump out around the pouch, but, I guess that's up to the interpretation of the player(s).
  10. samusbot

samusbot Member new

Either that or you can't take any of the stored items out and any new items put it aren't shrunk. It would be pretty bad if everybody permanently lost everything inside the Pouch every time it gets hit with Cold Iron.
  11. Guy

Guy Admin admin

As can be currently seen on every page that is a Hero's Choice treasure, Hero's Choice is now a thing. You can see an example of it on Fire Enchantment, here: http://library.hyrulecastle.org/index.php?title=Fire_Enchantment

Thoughts? It's still fairly easy to change what treasures are included.

Oh, and that Hero's Choice template will probably end up on the LoT's main page at some point.