E3 Is Upon Us

Discussion in 'Zelda Discussion' started by Hyrulian Hero, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Hyrulian Hero

Hyrulian Hero Member new

And we're about to see the new Zelda. Yesterday we got to see Link hanging off a cliff thanks to Amazon and that threw a bit more hype at us. What do we want to see? Will the NX be mentioned? Do we get to stop calling ZeldaU? Will Link's companion be the mysterious book? Will Ganondorf show up?
  2. Beefish

Beefish DODONGO DISLIKES SMOKE. new

Man, the Nintendo livestreams are on during the two days I'm away :dizzy: that's just typical. Guess I'm gonna come home to either an internet abuzz with excitement or complaining about something stupid with the new games. Probably both.
  3. Gizmo95

Gizmo95 That one nice but occasionally creepy guy. new

Hope the NX is actually worth buying... I haven't gotten anything from Nintendo since the Wii and Smash. Nothing else struck my fancy and I regretted the purchase as it now is only brought out of the closet when friends are over.
  4. monkeyislandfan1

monkeyislandfan1 Aspiering pun maker and drinker of milk reg

Holy crap guys the Zelda stuff they've showed so far is amazing!
  5. Sinistrari

Sinistrari Devious Grins & Hunter of Synonyms reg

I've just finished watching a bit of a play-through:

I have so many mixed feelings about this one, from:
    the jump button :tpr:
    to Link's pelvis bones :rpt:
    to no current sign of any roops :hno:
    to the destruction of weapons :wtf:
    to pretty colours :n_n:
    to the return of the Koroks :XD:
    to the anime-esque opening :o_o:
    to strangely cute Bokoblins :lol:
    to the splash of Ezio and Animal Crossing :tpri: and so on and so forth...As you can tell I went through a wide variety of rollercoaster emotions throughout.

I honestly have no idea how I feel about it as a Zelda game. It'll be awesome reference material for Zelda RPers but Zelda Gamers...? I don't know. I want to like it but something's holding me back.
  6. monkeyislandfan1

Well they said later in the stream that they took out a lot of things like NPCs and other stuff for the demo because they didn't want to spoil the story, so there may have been no use for the ruppes and they took them out for the demo.
  7. Sinistrari

Ooooooh. That's very sly of them :lol: That just leaves so much more unanswered. Damn.
  8. Beefish

I think it looks pretty good. I love adventure and open world games (which is why I'm so glad Nintendo didn't stick with Skyward Sword's linear style) but I hope the world isn't really empty.

I have this uncanny feeling like in the original LOZ, it seems rather mysterious and cryptic. I like the weird alienesque thing Link woke up in. So weird, wanna know what that's all about. I hope we find out more about the Sheikah in this game too, seems like that might be the case.

Also - anybody noticed how there are Koroks and stuff in this one? I guess this game must be set pretty late in the timeline - perhaps even the latest.

Overall, I'm kind of excited, but not totally hyped or anything. I heard Nintendo were taking some western inspiration, but I hope it isn't too much of a generic open world crafting game :-_-: and if it is, I hope at least the story will be good.
  9. Guy

Guy Admin admin

They confirmed the overworld would be quite dense. Just from the demo it's obviously more dense and interesting than the fields of TP and the seas of tWW.

Ye. They basically confirmed this would take place after tWW/PH/ST in the official timeline--ages after Kokiri became Koroks.

I'm happy to see Koroks make a return. Almost any creatures or races returning in this one would make me happy.

They confirmed rupees would be in the final game. You get them by selling items in shops/towns.

No hidden Picori roops. :picori: There can be insects (and possibly other things) hidden in the grass though, which apparently can be collected and re-purposed somehow.

I'm sure everyone in this thread knows this, but the developers claimed this demo was practically 1% of the full game. What we've seen is almost nothing in the grand scheme of it. Judging this game from the E3 demo is like judging Ocarina of Time based solely on Dodongo's Cavern.

I'm definitely excited for this one. It captures the spirit of the original Legend of Zelda (my second favorite LoZ) more so than any other game in the series: wandering, finding secrets, constant discovery, and perilous combat. No 2-hour tutorials (TP), no segmented world (SS), no "you can't go there yet because plot" (tWW), seemingly few if any "spend 10 minutes pressing A and reading dialogue," and as of yet no "here's 20 hearts and four bottles filled with blue potions."

It's already the most game-like Zelda game on a console in over a decade. To me, it's also the most Zelda-like Zelda game on a console since the damn NES. It's great. ( b'-')b
  10. monkeyislandfan1

WAIT 1%?! I know that the game was going to be massive but dang this makes me want to play it even more!
  11. Beefish

Yeah I've heard even the demo is 12x larger than the TP map, and the demo only has 1-2% of the full size. It's gonna be massive.
  12. Sinistrari

I think this is where different first experiences come into play. I had never seen a LoZ game until my Mum's friend popped over with a big plastic, blue box and gave her a N64 with a bunch of games she no longer wanted: one of which was tOoT, another a golden copy of MM. I loved them and still love them. But when I went back and tried to play one of the very first Zelda games, that predated even those two, I...got bored. It just wasn't for me.

Regardless, after letting all the revelations and twists sink in I've found myself growing ever more excited for this release! I wasn't sure at first but I'm warming up to it. Besides, it's fantastic that it's actually an entirely new game and not another reboot. (I was already theorising all the over the place the instant it all started!*)

I've got some increasingly huge expectations for this one, and like Beefish - with the "generic open world crafting games" - some also growing fears, but it's very rare that LoZ ever disappoints! I trust them. And I think they can pull it all off brilliantly in the end. Another 99% of brilliantly in fact.

*Seriously WHAT WAS THAT THING LINK WAS IN?!! WHAT ARE THOSE MACHINES?!! ARE THEY LIKE THE ROBOTS FROM SS?!!